Newbie Stupid Question: Where are the driving controls on the Test Track?

nxn

So I opened up the test track from the file menu just to play with laying some track and getting a train moving.
I can lay track, although the interface for that is rather painful - no canned track sections - have to specify numbers for curve radius etc. - is there no easier way?
So I get past laying some track and end up with a locomotive sitting on the track.
Now I would like to drive around the track, but there are no driver controls visible or available in any menus that I can find.
There's a HUD that has some minor controls like whistle, but no throttle.
Typing "W" does nothing. Changing to the cab view works and the various controls highlight when I mouse over but they cannot be moved.
At some times, but not at others the word PAUSED appears over the loco. Hitting P does not seem to un-pause.
I've been through the Test Track Help page, the FAQ and the FAQ thread in this forum but have not found anything.
I'm running a newly installed TRS19 Platinum on Windows 10.
I was able to complete a couple of the tutorials and drive a few trains in the Cornwall module, although even there sometimes the controls would mysteriously disappear shortly after leaving Penzance station and the screen fade to black - not sure if or how I accidentally exited.

You are in Surveyor mode - because you have just been laying track. You must switch to Driver mode.

• Open the Tools Menu, the third button on the top left of the screen - it resembles a crossed spanner and screwdriver. Select the Driver Option.

This will switch you to Driver Mode with "Paused" on. Press "P" to turn pause off.

The bottom of the screen will contain a track data graphic, a speedometer and a throttle control wheel. "W" and "Z" will control the movement of the train.

On the extreme right edge of the bottom of the screen are 3 small dots - they are your alternative driving controls.

• Click on them (it does not matter which one) to reveal the Advanced (Cab) controls.
  • Click again to reveal the Driver Command Bar - for AI operations.
  • Click again to return to the first control display.

Thanks but in the Test Track window I see no tools menu.
The only menu is the "hamburger" at the top left.

Update - I just found the throttle slider in the HUD display panel at the bottom right.
It didn't work when I tried it since you also have to advance the power slider.
Neither of these controls has a tooltip to explain what they are (unlike the other controls in the panel) and I had to look real close to read the faint F/R and PWR text and finally the penny dropped.

Last edited:
Yes, the test track module is not very intuitive to use. I gave up on it after about 30 minutes. I know there are some trainzers that are into engine specs so maybe one of them can share its secrets with the rest of us.

William

Yes the first thing I did was drive the test engine off the end of my test track at 70 mph so I probably should go back to the main Driver/Surveyor mode with all the handholding...
Realistic how the engine refuses to power up after that :eek:

Back