Need some track help

I came up with the idea about the track I want to use on my layouts. The idea is to use some kind of LOD track with no ballast for the main track and texture in the ballast. I came to this conclusion after download about a million different types of track. Some tracks have great looking ties but the ballast is too big or not the right color I'm looking for. Some have the right color ballast but the ties are the wrong color. So instead of playing the pick a track game, I was wondering if anybody had made some LOD track with no ballast? Or could somebody make me some? I can point out the color ties I'm looking for if needed.

I'm curious as to why you don't alter an existing track to meet your needs, ask the author for permission, and maybe upload it if you like?

I could do that but I would have to take the track from 1 person and take the track texture from another person and see if they could be merged together.
I was kinda wishin theres somebody out there ready to make the next great American standard track. This track could be used for bridges as well as the main track. Then somebody could make one with a third rail... Then someone could make a new set of points and switches for this track... I like to dream big. :hehe:
If nobody wants to make them, I'll just go to plan B, and do some altering myself.

I found some track that has the right color ties. kuid2:173286:10014:1. I would need to make matching bridge track and darken the ballast. In the area I live the railroads where built on top of coal dirt.

I'm sure you could alter the ballast to the color of your liking with a graphics program. There are many that are free to download, such as Gimp.

I have been using that technique for years

I have been using that technique for years. I use MB no ballast track that I sink -.17m into the ground to give this affect...

RosedaleCokeoven-1.jpg

MB no ballast track is low poly.

I have to stick with the LOD track because I use the 30 wire telegraph poles that are high poly. Using the those poles with the MB track together seems to slow my computer down too much.
Now if somebody would turn that track to the LOD type, I would definitly use it.

The problem with any 'no ballast' track is that the sleepers must be fully modelled in three dimensions = relatively hi poly. Yes. I know - LOD, but still...

Hey, those buildings in this shot... are they free on the DLS or a third party site? Or are they payware? Any chance you could get me the KUIDs for them? I am trying to make a chemical plant, a large one, but canot seem to find anything to use. If you can help, thank you!

I have been using that technique for years. I use MB no ballast track that I sink -.17m into the ground to give this affect...

RosedaleCokeoven-1.jpg

MB no ballast track is low poly.

The track as always been a problem for me. Now there is some real nice looking track out there. VMD and raildumpers tracks just to name a few. The track seems to look real good on a close up view. When you back away from it you can see where the ballast repeats itself. Even if a alpha channel is used on the track mesh it still seems to look too perfect.
The low poly MP wood track that a lot of people are using on thier layouts looks a little better for ballast fade out, but the color is unrealistic.

For me its a toss up between two different tracks. S301's track and slave-drivers dark ballest track. Which ever one I use I'll have to make a darker ballest version and I'll also need a matching bridge track.

My goal here is to create a layout that looks good and works well for most users. I believe that Dremmy is correct about the no ballast track so I don't think I'll go in that direction.

Back