NCTD Cutting Back Coaster Fleet/Zero Emissions Coaster & Sprinter

hauntedclipp

copper-crowned
https://www.railwayage.com/passenger/commuterregional/nctd-cutting-back-coaster-fleet/

Summary:
North County Transit District of San Diego County (NCTD) is selling five 1993-built Bombardier bilevel cars to Utah Transit Authority and putting up for sale two of their brand-spanking-new Siemens Chargers that they just received delivery of in May. The sales are meant to help fund a number of projects, including infrastructure, advancements toward zero-emissions locomotives for Coaster, new FRA-compliant vehicles for Sprinter (specifying their use of their current inland route and Coaster's coastal route), and converting two existing Sprinter DMUs to zero-emissions prototypes. The article lists Caltrans and the Southern California Regional Rail Authority (Metrolink) as their main aim for the sale of the Chargers.

Discussion:

• If not Caltrans and Metrolink, who else would most likely purchase two brand new unused Charger locomotives?
  • What would be the best method of achieving zero-emissions for the Coaster and Sprinter services? What would be the most likely?
  • What existing DMU is FRA-compliant that could replace the current Siemens Desiro DMUs used for Sprinter that would work for both the Oceanside-San Diego line and the Oceanside-Escondido line?
  • With current operations and infrastructure projects in mind (double-tracking + moving the railway line off the Del Mar cliffs), would electrification of one or both lines be more cost-effective?

Last edited:
Discussion:

• If not Caltrans and Metrolink, who else would most likely purchase two brand new unused Charger locomotives?
  • What would be the best method of achieving zero-emissions for the Coaster and Sprinter services? What would be the most likely?
  • What existing DMU is FRA-compliant that could replace the current Siemens Desiro DMUs used for Sprinter that would work for both the Oceanside-San Diego line and the Oceanside-Escondido line?
  • With current operations and infrastructure projects in mind (double-tracking + moving the railway line off the Del Mar cliffs), would electrification of one or both lines be more cost-effective?

1. There are numerous commuter railroads in need of new locomotives, such as TRE in Dallas (I doubt they have the money lol), Sounder in Seattle, etc. Many commuter rail lines could find them pretty useful, actually.
2. Electrification would be the best and the most desirable. We need more electrified commuter railroads, as they're better for the environment, are faster and are more efficient.
3. Stadler FLIRT DMUs like the ones in Fort Worth (and soon, Dallas). They are fully Tier-4 compliant and could easily replace the Desiros.
4. I can't answer this because I have no idea :hehe:

1. That planned Northern Lights Express could certainly use them, though they'd still need to complete their track upgrades and such before they can even run trains. Might be way too early for them to be buying up rolling stock. I wonder if NCTD could lease the two Chargers out rather than sell them.
2. Electrification would be great, though I doubt they'd go for something like that if it means replacing their entire fleet. With Coaster's F59PHIs to be retired, their oldest locos will be maybe four years old. And they still have to keep infrastructure projects in mind. Why pay to electrify a railway line they plan to change in major ways within the next decade or so if they also have diesel-electric locos that are still considered new? I'm definitely hoping they consider electrification once the line is moved off the Del Mar bluffs. I think a Stadler KISS in Coaster colors would look amazing.
3. FLIRTs are a very good option, though they would have to be something that could still use the same gangwayed stations that were built for the current Desiro units.
183592364_3944024412318943_4238988429017872564_n.jpg

NCTD went with drawbridge-like gangways that are lifted up away from the tracks at the end of service so the Escondido Local BNSF freight trains can pass through with enough clearance for railway employees hanging off the sides of the trains. Similar services use gauntlet tracks. The gangways are an interesting alternative, though they do complicate things for finding replacement trains. Altering the stations for different trains would require lengthy closures that I'm certain NCTD would like to avoid.

Back