Multiple TRS installations

rainmaster

Is it possible to have multiple installations of Trainz. I am using TRS2004.
In MSTS you can do this using RouteRiter.
It would be nice to have a copy using for example only narrow gauge, or US only or Australia only.
I read on one site (that I don't remember whose) that he had two installations of TRS2004. One to use & one for content creation.
If anyone can help it would be wonderful,
Lance Brown

How do you install 2 copies of TRS4 or TRS6 (I have both) When you put the discs in all you get is ' Do you want to uninstall) Don't think that is the exact message, but you know what I mean,
Lance

Why don't you cancel the auto-install sequence and approach the disc from "My computer" and order it to install Trainz to a drive of your liking?

Hello,

Or, just copy the entire TRS2004 or TRS2006 (or UTC, or any other Trainz version) to where you want to run your other copy from.

The downloads will not go to this copy, and you will need to create your own shortcut to it, but it will run just fine - at least it did so on my computer when I did this a few years back. :)

Best wishes

Linda

I have an external hard drive and have '04 installed on it and on my 'main' PC.
I did this to keep one version 'clean' of anything outside of the DLS and the other is loaded with assets from all over cyberspace.

:)

I tried cancelling the auto install & running directly from setup.exe.
The install programme obligingly let me install a new copy of TRS04 on Drive D ( the original is on Drive C ) Success ???
But the install programme very nicely uninstalled the Drive C installation without any warning message. Fortunately it didn't delete any assets. Uninstall Dive D - Reinstall on Drive C & back to scratch.
Have tried just copying the whole installation to Drive D.
When you try to run the Drive D install you get a " programme not installed properly message " (not exact wording)
The install on a removable drive sounds worth investigating. Don't have a large enough external drive at the moment.
Thanks for the suggestions
Lance

Snip....
Have tried just copying the whole installation to Drive D.
When you try to run the Drive D install you get a " programme not installed properly message " (not exact wording)
The install on a removable drive sounds worth investigating. Don't have a large enough external drive at the moment.
Thanks for the suggestions
Lance ....Unsnip

Which you will get from most programs if the are just copied across and not installed separate. The installed program writes to the registry of WinXP and Vista and usually only allows one instance of a program to get installed.

Check out my answer here to a similar question.

If you install the same program a second time, even in a new partition or hard disk, the program assumes there is something wrong with the first install and will uninstall it (if programmed to do so).

By copying TRS04 across, you still can start the second version of it by clicking on its TRS04.exe icon and also install CDPs to it, providing you link it to the path of the version of TRS04 you want it installed (the .cdp file that is) and have the .cdp file separate.

When you click on the CDP, the first screen you get, on the bottom left of it, lets you direct your .cdp install to which version of TRS you want to install it to. You might have to direct it to it. But to do so, you have to d/load your content as a .cdp file to install it this way.

Or if you installed CDPs to your installed version of TRS04, copy the relevant Kuid folder of the content you require across to your copy of your other TRS04 and delete the chump file in your TRS04 cache from where you just copied the folder to and ignore any "not installed messages". I do this all the time to my 4 TRS04 copies on my PC.

FYI, why I use 4 copies of TRS04, the first is the original install I generally use to just drive/play around it.

The second one, as I am a content creator, I use to check and try my created content in with minimal or next to no extra content for a fast startup of it.

The third copy is where I create and build my monster route still in progress of some 250-300 boards with only the content for it on it. Otherwise it would take a longer time to load as it does now.

The fourth TRS04 is my back up version of the route building version as well as I also do back ups of all my created content and work in progress to an external 500GB harddisk. They all start up when clicking their relevant .exe files.

Btw, I use WinXP.

Cheers

VinnyBarb

Last edited:
Thanks very much. I do know about writing to the registry. Been building computers since Z80 days (pre Microsoft).
Every thing you say makes absolute sense & I will try it out first chance I get
. I did see your other reply on a similar question. Everything seems a little clearer now,
Thanks
Lance

Back