Multiple drivers assigned to same train

janathan

I've been having a weird problem with the Driver Setup rule lately. Basically, I open Driver Setup and assign a driver messages, I save the results, I go back to Driver Setup and the train's name is in red (indicating that it's been deleted, even though it's there) and it's also simultaneously assigned to another driver.

For example, let's say the name of the train is "TGV Engine 1" or something. It'll appear like this:

Adair
TGV Engine 1

Dave
TGV Engine 1

It does this every time I try to edit the Driver Setup rule, and in session mode, neither of the drivers are assigned to anything. It doesn't save the messages I assign the drivers either.

I've tried deleting missing assets from both the route and session and deleting and re-adding the train. I've even tried deleting and re-adding the Driver Setup rule, but nothing worked.

Where are you editing the session?

To me this sounds like you've been editing in UDS and things have been confused.

I don't recall it happening in TRS2019 but in TRS22 I've noticed that when you add a locomotive to your route/session it is automatically allocated a driver, whereas previously it was just call 'Consist xxxx' Unfortunately it is as likely that drive is already allocated to an existing locomotive and hence the conflict. What's more even if that additional locomotive has only been added as a scenery asset, when you go to 'Drive' that driver is listed at the top of the drivers list but with no train allocated. As others have said, 'if it isn't broke please don't try to fix it.' Peter

I don't recall it happening in TRS2019 but in TRS22 I've noticed that when you add a locomotive to your route/session it is automatically allocated a driver, whereas previously it was just call 'Consist xxxx' Unfortunately it is as likely that drive is already allocated to an existing locomotive and hence the conflict. What's more even if that additional locomotive has only been added as a scenery asset, when you go to 'Drive' that driver is listed at the top of the drivers list but with no train allocated. As others have said, 'if it isn't broke please don't try to fix it.' Peter
Assuming you are using TRS22 Standard or TRS22 PE and you are not using the UDS method mentioned by John above, I do see this same behavior. I can uncheck the Generate new Drivers for empty trains in the Driver Setup Rule. Exit Surveyor and then choose to Drive Session and a new driver is assigned to the empty loco. So Driver is assigning a driver to empty locos. I don't see a way to disable it in Driver. It might be that since TRS22 is being prepared to run TLR at some point in the future that some aspect of those preparations are to blame. As TLR at the moment is a bit like a bike messenger dispatcher program giving orders to drivers instead of trains, I assume it needs all locomotives to have a driver. Of course, once in Driver it is easy to remove the driver with the red X in the Driver Control Center.

Thank you for the support, unfortunately I'm not using UDS, assign drivers etc. is not checked and I am using TRS22. The route however was migrated from TRS2019 and a handful of drivers were quickly recognised as missing and subsequently replaced when trains didn't move. While it only happens when adding a new locomotive, I have found that if you then couple a second locomotive to it, followed by a couple of wagons, delete the first locomotive, which in turn also removes the driver from the train, and the wagons if you wish, that second locomotive is then identifies a 'Consist xxx' as it would have been in TRS2019 and can be used as scenery or a drivable asset. To be honest I frequently think you couldn't make this up and at times I think Trainz could become very boring if it wasn't for the quirks and issues. Peter

This may very well be a bug and I would report it and see what the QA Team has to say. You may have stumbled on something new to them.

I'm a bit confused. What is UDS?
Universal Driver Surveyor.

While in Surveyor you can:

Switch right to driver and drive a session since this is the replacement for the old Quick Drive.

In Driver you can:
Switch right back to Surveyor and fix things. Here you have to be careful because you can end up with a new session a route, or a new session. You need to ensure you are the Route-layer only when saving because any changes made here can end up in the session only, and that messes things up. Also you can end up with a session where all the drivers are out of place from where you want them to start.

Oh, yeah, I've heard of that. I'm not entirely sure how to use it properly.
Don't feel bad. When setting up sessions, I still set up sessions the old-fashioned way and I also use Driver the same way to ensure that everything remains as it should.

I use it to test things such as when I set up ATLS or TRC road crossings. I'll set up the "hardware" then plop down a consist and test it using UDS. If it works, I'll exit back to Surveyor and delete the consist and continue on. I also use it to fix stuck drivers. I'll exit from Driver, fiddle with what I have to do, then return. In either case, I don't save anything because I don't want to overwrite a session or ruin the route at that time and I only save my route when I'm in Surveyor editing.

So, it's edited in driver now?
If you use UDS.

I still set up sessions the old-fashioned way. I edit the route. Then create a base-session and use that as a template to create others such as daily operations with passenger and freights, or MOW operations with most trains sidelined as the MOW crews are out ballasting tracks.

In all sessions, the only time I use UDS is to unstick drivers or fiddle with commodities. The rest of the time it's back to editing the session again as we did in TS12.

If you use UDS.

I still set up sessions the old-fashioned way. I edit the route. Then create a base-session and use that as a template to create others such as daily operations with passenger and freights, or MOW operations with most trains sidelined as the MOW crews are out ballasting tracks.

In all sessions, the only time I use UDS is to unstick drivers or fiddle with commodities. The rest of the time it's back to editing the session again as we did in TS12.
Yep agree, same method for me. Old way works best.

Okay, so I've been running tests to try and get to the bottom of this issue, and it seems like only two types of trains are affected by this glitch. My fictional bullet train and Amtrak AEM-7. Other trains I've made, trains I've downloaded and built-in trains don't seem to be affected. It's those two specific trains that I've made.

Back