Moving Data from one computer to another - how to keep trainz stuff?

BajaBlasted

Standard Cab Fanatic
Hi!

So I'm going to be building a new PC from scratch, not right at this moment but I've already got a few parts, just need to buy a couple more things.

Anyway, I wanted to know if there was a way to carry on my old content to my next computer in any way possible. Reason being? I have a bunch of old Trainz content that I no longer have the CDPs for and furthermore they're forever lost so long as I dont find a way to carry it over when making my new PC and installing trainz 12 again.

So in other words, is there a way to keep all my content when in install trainz on my new computer without having to restore it from my old hard drive? I'd rather toss the thing since it's old, got corrupted once, and is nothing but junk, and since I do nothing but game on this computer I have no reason to keep it.

Thank you in advance!

Yes, there is another way to transfer content over to another version of Trainz - provided its the same or later version.

Go to where you have Trainz installed, then enter UserData.
Look for 'local' folder - this folder contains all cdp files from modified content and installed from 3rd party sites.

The other folders I recommend transferring are 'original' and 'editing'
original - this folder contains all content downloaded from the DLS.
editing - this contains any assets that are open for edit. I recommend committing those changes or reverting back to original.

Transfer them to a USB device like a flash drive, external drive, etc that can be used to move data.

Once you have the local folder (and original and / or editing), you can open content manager on the other computer. Drag and drop the local folder into content manager and Trainz will begin importing the content.

Hope it helps

Thanks! Just 1 more question, If I bought items from Jointed Rail or RRMods do these count as 3rd party? If so can I move those over as well? I've got hornsounds in them that I don't want to lose. But other than that thank you!

Thanks! Just 1 more question, If I bought items from Jointed Rail or RRMods do these count as 3rd party? If so can I move those over as well? I've got hornsounds in them that I don't want to lose. But other than that thank you!

If you've copied over your User Data folder as mentioned above, you'll have all that stuff as well.

When you finally setup TS12 on your new computer, simply install the program from scratch then overwrite the User Data with your user-data from your back up device. Doing it this way will ensure you have everything you installed previously and all will be intact.

You should be all set, but it's good to have the original data files anyway from wherever you purchased them from in case things go tits up.

If you've copied over your User Data folder as mentioned above, you'll have all that stuff as well.

When you finally setup TS12 on your new computer, simply install the program from scratch then overwrite the User Data with your user-data from your back up device. Doing it this way will ensure you have everything you installed previously and all will be intact.

You should be all set, but it's good to have the original data files anyway from wherever you purchased them from in case things go tits up.

Thanks a ton!

Back