Mouse is misbehaving !

JimDep

Just within the last couple days of my route building, my mouse is dragging and jerking around. I changed the battery and it's still doing it. It works fine for all my other Windows 10 applications.
I haven't changed anything in the settings. Any idea what could be causing it ?
Thanks

Hi Jim,

Is there a lot of disk activity?

That will cause the mouse to act like that because the CPU is busy with the hard drive.

Try removing the USB cable with the bluetooth device on the end and reinsert it. Sometimes just relocating the end with the little plugin transceiver helps.

Last edited:
I experienced the same issue before Xmas twice.
First time took it to a Tech, he could not find anything wrong.
Since then it has occurred intermittently.
I tried removing the dongle prior to start up, then reinserting to allow windows to install.
I still have continuing issues on and off.

Hi,
It’s not a mouse with a ball? If so, it’ll need cleaning both the ball and the sensors…
if it’s a laser mouse, try cleaning the lens, you may need to clean your mouse mat.

I found that a wireless mouse wasn’t as reliable as a corded one. It maybe that the wireless has interference…

Here's something else besides disk activity which I forgot about.

Try moving the mouse dongle to another closer port. I found that the dongle located in the rear was okay for regular stuff, but the mouse acted weird when there was lots of activity such as when Trainzing. After moving the dongle closer to the mouse, the issue went away. After dealing with this annoyance more than once, I returned to a wired mouse.

Thanks for the responses. It is a wireless mouse. The only other active program I have going is Google Earth. I've used the Trainz / Google Earth combination for almost 20 years without a problem I haven't changed my location from chair to the computer so it just seems strange that it would start acting up.....but with Trainz only.

I'll try unplugging the dongle dingy and plug it into another slot and report back.

I plugged the dongle dingy into a new USB slot and so far that seems to have done the trick . Thank you.........it's great to be shown a solution that was a quick fix !

Back