Modern railroad action in my area - not my videos though.

JCitron

Trainzing since 12-2003
Here's some freight action on the Pan Am Railways/MBTA mainline through Andover, North Andover, and Lawrence, MA up to Plaistow, NH. I used to railfan this area when I was younger from about 1973-1998. Sadly I never took videos. Who had a video camera back then other than our parents! This stretch of track is probably busier now than more recently in the past, but sadly busier with commuter and Amtrak trains. There are only 6 to 8 freights a day along this stretch now. In the past there were a lot more, but when Guilford took over in the early 1980s, they caused a strike. After the strike, the traffic dried up, plus manufacturing has dwindled as well since then.

http://youtu.be/q82QX09DIk0

In this video you'll see various locomotives used in run throughs. leases and power pools. There are units from CSX and others as well as the home units from Pan Am which include the old Gray-Orange Guilford units as well as the newly-painted PanAm ones in dark blue. The new units also have giant front porches. Has anyone else seen this before? This is new to me and a lot of other people around here. We can't figure out why they did this. Also notice how some of the G-units blow smoke. You'd think they were Alcos!

There is also new trackwork near Andover depot and the throat to Lawrence Yard on the Andover side, just after the Route I 495 overpass towards Frye (Shawsheen). The MBTA and Amtrak are redouble-tracking this stretch plus they added back in a third track to Lawrence yard. This is totally awesome to see this track going back in after being removed for nearly 40 years!

John

WOW!! IM AMAZED!! :p (We need that sky, those trees, and those locos! :udrool: ) I wish I could actually see the NE US in person :) . Im stuck up here in Alaska :sleep:. Thanks for sharing John! :D I didn't even finish it and it's amazing. :wave:

You're welcome.

I tried putting trees like that in my route, but it causes the stutters! Right now part of my big route includes the Haverhill to Bradford section of this line. I haven't got much done on it because I find this to be the most difficult thing I've ever worked on. I suppose this is because I live here and I want everything to look like where I live. When I'm done, I'll do a quick video of trains going from Bradford over the Merrimack River Bridge to Haverhill. Bradford, which is part of Haverhill, is the next town after North Andover in the video I posted.

There are some GTI locos on the DLS. You might have to fix them (I think I had to anyway) to run them in TS12, and I too have yet to find a sky like the ones we have.

I'm glad you enjoyed your portion of the video.

John

Just got some Guilford locos into TS10 (I uninstalled TS12 for a bit) and I redownloaded my payware and some freeware. Now the route to make :D

Awesome!

Now you need to modify the meshes for extra smoke attachment points. :D These units run too clean for Guilford. Seriously!

John

Back