Modeling a Quarry

vonhammer_87

Well I am continuing to make progress on the route i am currently building, which is the Detroit Union Railroad, which is the route of the club I belong too. Anyway in our operating scheme, we have a narrow gauge line which includes a limestone quarry.

anyway i was looking for assistance on how best to model quarry's in Trainz. im using TS12.

thanks

Are you trying to copy the prototype or are you making it up as you go? Limestone quarries here in central Texas are just a big hole in the ground with a sloped road to the bottom. Seldom are they deep enough to require a spiral road around the edge. They use large off road trucks to haul the limestone out to a crusher. From there is is loaded into traincars. Some quarries also have a rotary kiln to make lime or portland cement. Some also ship blocks and slabs of limestone.

In Trainz, just dig a hole in the terrain or set it into a hillside. There are some good cliffside textures that make a good limestone mine face. Don't remember whaqt they are called.

David

Are you trying to copy the prototype or are you making it up as you go?

Well I guess you could say I am copying the prototype, if you consider the actual club layout the prototype. Our layout is freelanced mainly, but for the most part I am sticking the to how layout runs.

Limestone quarries here in central Texas are just a big hole in the ground with a sloped road to the bottom. Seldom are they deep enough to require a spiral road around the edge. They use large off road trucks to haul the limestone out to a crusher. From there is is loaded into traincars. Some quarries also have a rotary kiln to make lime or portland cement. Some also ship blocks and slabs of limestone.

I see. If I remeber correctely thats how ours is set up at the club. And since I am planning on using Dap's CMTM system, i dont have to worry about the whole interactive industry stuff.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the circular spiral mines were for copper. The limestone quarries in my area are rather shallow, with abundant conveyor belts to the crusher.

Might want to look at this route...

MoPac Route of the Eagle,<kuid:119340:1088>

Mike has incorporated a large quarry on this route that
does use the spiral routine to the bottom of the quarry.
Works quite well.

AL

There are 2 on the DLS type in Quarry and there is an animated "Quarry" built-in T12. There are also several routes on the DLS that have quarries in them, type in mine in the search field.

John

I see. Well i looked at both of those and I found only the one on the DLS the Bezite Quarry, but its the same as the built in one.

Here's a screen shot of what I have. The two tracks nearest the slope are the tracks for the quarry and the far track is for the wye.

quarryi.jpg

Sorry I Didn't see this.

Regarding Quarries and opin pit mines, Quarries are usually soft rock and openpit is usually hard rock, but terms are also used interchangeable. A hardrock mine doe not necessarly have to be a pit to be called an open pit - go figure. If you are designing your pit or face, things to keep in mind. Most mines up until the early eighties in the US used 50' faces, By MSHA standerds (or at least until I retired 1998 ) Your faces were supposed to be approximatly no higher than the topmost reach of your loading equip, ie: a Marion or P&H 15yd shovel would have a face height of 40 - 50 feet, A Cat 992 around 25'. For safety you would want your benchs at appx. the same width as to the face height. When I did my mine plans I would use 25' on average as that was what a 992 could safely work with without getting buried in a slide. You eat up space quit fast! I figured with a loader you need a minimum of 60' for a workin bench plus safety berm. Haul roads, inclusive of rail. Figure rod and diesel locos at a max of 6% Usually tried to hold at no more than 4%. A geared loco will pull a 12% but is usually quit a bit less. Haul Trucks should be no more than 10%, they hydroplane. I tried to keep them less than 6% for fuel economey, that extra 4% really costs in fuel and cycle times. For an 0-6-0T rod loco of 100,000 lbs you will need a minimum radius of 125'. Figure the same 0-6-0, capacity is at 1%- 640, 2%-355, 3% 235 tons. % eats up tonnage and fuel, Also to much grade and you have crown sheet problems. If they don't blow up they burn up. Class B Shay (not pacific coast version)50 ton shay, two truck, 1% 760, 2% 421, 3% 282, 4% 206, 5% 150, 6% 126, tons, working radius was around 35'

Back