Miniature Trains - 3 1/2" to 7 1/4"

At Northlandz (that huge model railway) they have a 2' gague-type thing. That's the only thing similar up there I know.

Northlandz is 3' gauge, I believe...I was there several years back. I do remember that it was not an actual steam engine then, and ran on propane. They had a 4-4-0, tender, and 3 or 4 "amusement park-style cars" and a caboose then, on a loop-to-loop railroad including their "tunnel" shed where they parked the train.

Well, there you go. My memories are from about 5 years back, and they were kinda overshadowed by what was inside. :hehe:

Where is this?

It's at Gilling East, near Ampleforth in North Yorkshire, about 20 miles north of York. If you go on Google Earth and enter Gilling East, zoom in and you can see the railway just above the street name of Pottergate!

It's a bit clearer on Live Local, the track looks like a pair of spectacles with different sized lenses.

John

I have been helping a friend set up a very professional website focussed on model engineering and especially miniature railways in these scales. I have a 7 1/4" gauge 3.5" to the foot 0-4-0 English Quarry Engine and a 4 3/4" gauge 1" to the foot BR 9F 2-10-0. Both are to be found in the forums on this website.

Try it out at:

http://engineer.therustybolt.com/

Register (it is free) to view everything

Russ
Canadian Regional Trainz Coordinator

Anyone know where I can get some 7 1/4" gauge models (in the UK) for a cheap price? Second - Hand would be great, also would kits. It would have to be scale stock though. :)

Stuart, short of buying a stripey jumper and wearing a lone ranger mask I think you will have to pay BIG money out.

I'm planning an outdoor Lego railway next year. I intend to use the new all plastic track they have just introduced. This only comes in mixed packs of straight and curved sections. Because I would end up with a spare circle of curves for every 2 metres of straight I contacted Lego to see if they would sell me just straights. They very quickly replied in the positive, however the price was crazy, it's much cheaper to buy the mixed sections and throw away the un-needed curves! All that oil going to make wasted plastic, not very green is it? I've already ordered the first batch of track to experiment with over the winter.

Before anybody suggests it I have also priced up building my own track (had to cos it's about 40mm gauge), the price would be about the same, just extra work, but I really fancy an all Lego set up.

Does any one else fancy trying to get Lego to sell straight track only at a sensible (LOL) price, especially some one who can write in Danish as I think it might be helpful to ask the main man at Lego headquarters?

John

Actually, I perfer the old 9-volt tracks. Dunno why, but I do.

Haven't done much Lego railroading in a while, thanks to Lego's exorbant prices (what is it, a dime a brick?). :n: :n: :n:

I've loads of 12 volt stuff, and a bit of 9 volt which might be traded sometime. Neither really suitable for outdoors in Yorkshire!

Yes Lego is not cheap!

John

When I say cheap, I mean cheap for 7 1/4" gauge anything up to £5000, the cheapest kit I can find is a GWR 14xx at £5600 or something along those lines.

I have to say this is the hobby I always wanted to get into...

Sadly when you live in hilly WV,US and only have a few hundreds to spend these are impossible to get or see for that matter.

[qoute]and only have a few hundreds to spend these are impossible to get or see for that matter.[qoute]
We got our 7 1/2" gauge 0-4-0 siderod for $500 and a 0-4-0 shifter with cars and trailer for only $800

Heres some pics.
DSC04914.jpg

The $800 set
IMG_5510.jpg

Siderod with the top off
IMG_4759.jpg

Me driving a RailSystems SW1500 at the SweetWater and Rhor park railroad in San Diego
IMG_4741.jpg

Me driving an electric steam engine
IMG_5001.jpg

Me, my mom and my dad posing around don morgans private setup in Denver
IMG_4574.jpg

Me driving our 0-4-0 side rod back when it still carryed a flag
Thats our fleet

5inch steam train

Yes if you looking to buy a 5 inch steam train try a site at www.smex.net.au they have many listings including parts and kits as well as full trains from 3 inch to 7and quarter engines also tractors and steam trucks as well:cool:

Maybe someone could recreate those in two different gauges for Trainz- 1 type of each in 2 foot gauge and 1 type in 10 1/4 inch gauge. I'd really like to see that!

Not in Australia, but this is where I get my stuff from. They sell loco kits and ready to run. They also sell second hand and export all over the world. I've always found them very friendly and helpful.

You may want to make sure your wallet is in the safe care of someone else when viewing the site though, just in case. ;)

http://www.maxitrak.co.uk/

I've seen the Class 45 loco in the flesh in 7.25" gauge and it is fabulous. :)

Mike.

Sorry, this is what I meant for it. Look at the link.

But then again, a lot of the narrow-gauge based locos and wagons would look good in Trainz. Someone should recreat them in Trainz.

Last edited:
Back