Microsoft will not support upcoming CPUs

Hi everybody
Jack(LNERlover5), in regard to your posting at #18 of this thread on the possibility of the Microsoft Corporation being broken up and sold off, well as I stated in my posting at #16 Microsoft have not made a profit on their total operation for the last three years. Commercial organisations no matter how big they are cannot go on making losses indefinitely and sooner or later the “crunch has to come”.

In the above, many market analysts believe that when Microsoft announce their trading results for the financial year 2015-2016 they will have to show that they have made a profit for the year, or at least be a long way down the road towards making one. If the foregoing is not achieved then creditors and investors have to be repaid and reassured. The breakup and drastic sell-off of parts of the company may then be the only way to go, for where else would there be.

However, investors seem to think that Microsoft are now heading in the right direction. Their stock market price has in recent weeks remained around $50 per share despite the fact that world markets have generally declined. Therefore there are plenty of reasons to be confident in regard to the overall future of Microsoft, but the mobile market is most definitely where their full attention will have to be.

I wouldn't trust anything a monopoly like Microsoft claims or predicts, all they are doing is trying to brainwash people.

I wonder what the current generation of Gadget users are going to do when their eyesight starts failing, they get arthritis or RSI from waving their fingers over screens 24/7.

Malc,(clam1952), the mobile market is not all small screens these days. Several android laptops are due on the market in the next few months with the 11 to 13 inch screens and there are even plans for a 21 inch desktop model, though how anyone can describe that as a mobile device is beyond me (LOL).

The problem for the desktop PC would be there is less and less need for it even in its traditional office environment. By example, most people use their smart phones to verbally dictate emails and texts these days even when a PC may be right in front of them. Documents can be created, edited and distributed through Google drive using android or Google OS, so no need for a Windows PC.

The world turns and everything moves on, with Microsoft having an awful lot of catching up to do.

Bill

Last edited:
Young'uns these days don't know what 'DoS' is, when I first started computing I was using 'command line input' in DoS-3 :)

Guess that makes me an 'old git'. :(

Me to BLACKWACTH. My first computer was a Dragon 32 made in South Wales. DOS was all we had and a cassette tape to save anything on.

And they say that was the good old days.:D

Bill

My first 'home' machine was a 'Rair Black Box', it didn't last long, so was replaced by an 'Amstrad 1512'.

In them there dark days, a 'floppy disc' was a very floppy disc & 5.25 inches. :D

Denial of Service, a type of spam.
or
Disk Operating System when computers still had disks that you inserted into a little slot. Amazing how much you could do on a single disk and doing the disk shuffle was a not a dance.

When you have all quite finished this old man started with CP/M (Control Program for Microcomputers) an 8 bit language for the 8080 and 8085 processor developed by Digital Research and Unix from Bell Systems which is still in use today. The commands in CP/M had little if any association to what they actually achieved, whereas permissions in Unix were a nightmare and are still no better today. That said Abiliy made an Office Suite comprising at least word-processor, spreadsheet and database which ran on CP/M long before MS Office, where the function keys had identical functions whatever the program. It was later updated to Windows and was still available 2-3 years ago. Peter

Last edited:
Fair point Martinvk, but it does highlight how dependent currently we are on Microsoft, and to a lesser extent Apple, both of whom at times have little respect for their customers, on being able to enjoy and operate our games and simulations. Peter

Hi everybody.
Martiin,wilts747, in regard to the figures I gave on the decline of Windows desktop sales and components at #16 of this thread, for some reason Mac laptop sales increased in Europe by 3% year on year to the end of December 2015, do not know in regard to sales figures for US.

I have never owned any Apple devices so have no experience in performance or "customer care" except by reputation. so, anyone have any idea on these stats, as the Mac would seem to be swimming against the tide in many respects.

Bill

Last edited:
I've never really been a games player until my daughter gave me a present of Trainz and being brought up on Unix, Linux is my preferred OS and has satisfied 90% of my personal computing needs for years. Windows 10 seems to be a loss leader to me and Microsoft appears to make its money from the likes of MS Office, bespoke Windows based applications and any spin off through its browsers. Conversely Apple business seems to be created on the back of at times some very snazzy hardware whereas until only recently no one manufactured 'Microsoft' computers, just a lot of manufacturers who assembled components made by others which accommodated the Windows OS. Peter

Last edited:
I'm not using Windows 10 yet, I will be having a new PC built shortly so that one will have 10 installed so I won't have to worry about the upgrading pains. This machine will stay with Windows 7 for as long as I own it. Some people are resistant to change, I am to a degree, I don't leave my comfort zone unless I really have to. Some people don't want Windows 10 just because it's new and different, to be truthful a lot of what Windows 10 offers in "features" like Cortana and the Live Tiles are of no interest to me and will be disabled the minute I turn on the new PC. A lot of the pushback is centered on the WAY Microsoft is doing this whole Windows 10 thing, being super aggressive , seemingly forcing it down people's throats as well as their perceived arrogance at wanting to dictate how people use their home PC's by either removing or deeply hiding options and settings people are used to having to customize their system to their liking. The inablility to decide when to install updates in many cases as well as the perceived "spying", including the new telemetry a data collection protocol recently unveiled:

There are four telemetry settings: "Security", "Basic", "Enhanced", and
"Full".
Here's how Microsoft sums up the four modes:

Security: "Information that’s required to help keep
Windows secure, including info about the Connected User Experience and Telemetry
component settings, the Malicious Software Removal Tool, and Windows
Defender."

Basic: "Basic device info,
including: quality-related info, app compat, and info from the Security
level."

Enhanced: "Additional
insights, including: how Windows and Windows apps are used, how they perform,
advanced reliability info, and info from both the Basic and the Security
levels."

Full: "All info necessary to
identify and help to fix problems, plus info from the Security, Basic, and
Enhanced levels."

Windows 10 Enterprise, Windows 10 Education, and
IoT Core defaults to Enhanced. Windows 10 Home and Pro default to
Full.
Windows 10 Enterprise, Windows 10 Education, Windows 10 Mobile
Enterprise, and IoT Core editions can select Security – no other edition
can.

* Security provides the most
privacy and can block the transmission of all and any telemetry, if required.
"No user content, such as user files or communications, is gathered at the
Security telemetry level, and we take steps to avoid gathering any information
that directly identifies a company or user, such as name, email address, or
account ID," says Redmond.
* Basic hands
over details of the software and hardware you have installed. Enhanced hands
over details of events happening within your system.
* Full is where things get a little dicey, depending
on how much you prize your privacy. If your system reports back strange crashes
that Microsoft techies can't get their heads around, they can request
extra data from your machine, which Windows 10 will hand over under remote
control if management approves.
This extra information can include
some of your files
so the engineers can recreate the exact crash in
their labs using your data and apps. Microsofties can also run diagnostic tools
on your system to gather more evidence. Here's Microsoft's explanation of the
process:

Before more info is gathered, Microsoft’s privacy governance
team, including privacy and other subject matter experts, must approve the
diagnostics request made by a Microsoft engineer. If the request is approved,
Microsoft engineers can use the following capabilities to get the
information:
* Ability to run a limited, pre-approved list of Microsoft
certified diagnostic tools, such as msinfo32.exe, powercfg.exe, and
dxdiag.exe.
* Ability to get registry keys.
* Ability to gather user
content, such as documents,
if they might have been the trigger for the
issue.

This may all be benign and somewhat useful, but it's the perception it raises and in many cases, perception is everything. Those who work in IT, are long time computer enthusiasts or are just technically inclined may be able to dismiss a lot of these "fears", but a lot of regular home PC users are just that, regular people, they use their PC however they need to and aren't inclined to go beyond turning it on and doing what they have to do.

As far as mobile goes, meh. I don't own any mobile devices, or even a smartphone and don't care to. Like I said I am about to order a new PC, which I am sure I will use for as long as I can. A PC is strictly an entertainment appliance for me, I use it to play Trainz and some other games, do a little web surfing and emailing and pretty much that's it.

I've never really being a games player until my daughter gave me a present of Trainz and being brought up on Unix, Linux is my preferred OS and has satisfied 90% of my personal computing needs for years. Windows 10 seems to be a loss leader to me and Microsoft appears to make its money from the likes of MS Office, bespoke Windows based applications and any spin off through its browsers. Conversely Apple business seems to be created on the back of at times some very snazzy hardware whereas until only recently no one manufactured 'Microsoft' computers, just a lot of manufacturers who assembled components made by others which accommodated the Windows OS. Peter

wilts747, I started by buying Trainz UTC for a couple of quid in a supermarket and so it all started. These days I am very much a Google convert both Android and Google OS. My windows desktop only has Trainz 10, Trainz 12, Train Simulator 16 and Dragon Naturally speaking loaded on now as everything else is carried out on my Google devises.

Being that the just launched "Dragon Anywhere" has turned out to be such a disaster with worse reviews than T:ane on May 15 (LOL), my windows pc is now likely to go down to holding only three applications. Google Now/voice is becoming great for voice recognition which is what i am using now to post this. It is free to use within the Chrome Browser or Google OS as against the £100 plus for Dragon on a windows pc.

So, I wiil sit back in my semi-retirement and see what Trainz Next brings forward for us all to appreciate.

bill

Last edited:
Mre Aussie, You need to read up on the many things wrong with Windows 10 (besides the spam-like marketing).
Last but not least, Win10 spies on your every activity, even down to keylogging! But if you must have the latest and not-so-greatest, believe the Microsoft hard sell and give in to their spamming. :) Lataxe, thenk yew.

The average punter has no conceivable idea just how invasive Win 10 is by "Default" !!! :confused: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1kGMCfb2xw&feature=youtu.be#

Cheers, Mac...

Hi everybody.
I can fully understand how some forum members object to the idea that the owners of an operating system should be assembling and benefiting from data obtained from that operating systems users. However, in carrying out that the Microsoft Corporation is certainly doing no more than other operating system owners have been doing for over a substantial period of time.

Google has been the most criticised in this area by way of using search data collected by its browser to bring forward user specific advertising when those users are visiting websites through the browser. Google goes much further with users of its play store by way of advertising to regular visitor’s games and other applications that may be of interest to them again by way of data collected from previous visits.

To add to the above, users of Google OS have the highest level of data collection placed on them as the operating system is completely cloud-based and therefore documents etc are actually assembled on the Google servers by way of monitoring each keystroke that the user makes as they make it and sending that instantly to the cloud.

To many on this forum the foregoing may have the echo of “Big Brother is watching”. However, Google is one of the biggest success stories in the history of commercial enterprise by way of their 74.5 billion trading revenue for the current financial year up to December 2016. To put the foregoing it in a nutshell, Google (or under its new name alphabet) is currently the most valuable commercial business on earth.

To the Microsoft Corporation Google is a direct competitor in large sections of its business. While Google basks in its sales revenues and profits Microsoft has produced large trading losses for the last three years. Therefore, Microsoft can do little else to rectify their trading position but to put full attention into challenging Google and Apple in the mobile market where the real money is being made, and also increase its revenue through dedicated advertising to users of its Windows 10 browser. In the above the straight fact is that dedicated advertising can only be carried out when you collect data generated from previous visits by users of that browser.

Success in the above enterprise is crucial for Microsoft as investors are expecting little else than the Microsoft Corporation to produce a profit or at least being well down the road to producing that profit for the current financial year ending in April. Anything else but the foregoing would surely see the end of Microsoft in its present trading format with the sell-off of large sections of the company.

Of course, the above impacts on all of us with our little hobby. What happens to Microsoft affects N3V which is why Microsoft are currently encouraging application creators towards producing for Windows 10 mobile devices. Therefore, and at the risk of been snowed under with criticism, supporting Microsoft in its current endeavours including data collection, is also supporting N3V, Trainz and our hobby.

I am an unashamed Google fan boy in every respect with the exception of my train simulators. My company and myself have used Google OS since its launch three years ago. I also enjoy mobile gaming through the android platform and use nothing else but the Google Chrome browser. No harm has befallen the company or me in those years for all the activity we have carried out.

For Microsoft to be once again a successful company they have to get down in the dirt (for that will be as seen by many) and really compete with Apple and Google for the future. Being the nice kid on the block has taken Microsoft to perilous trading position it is in now, and that will not change by continuing to be that kid.

Bill.

Last edited:
Hi everybody.
I can fully understand how some forum members object to the idea ...

Bill.

That's an interesting post. I've long since decided that resistance is futile and that corporations are indeed recording the fact that I bought x, y and z on internet and I bought radishes at my local supermarket last time I shopped. The fact that I get e-mails advertising specials on products I have bought is evidence of that.

So, what do we do? Hide our heads in the sand and pretend it is isn't happening? No, take advantage of it.

I own an iPad but not an iPhone - an Android based phone is ok for me. I really don't care much if someone detects I'm a Trainz fan: there are too many of my posts in the forums to dispute that. :)

Whatever comes along down the track I will consider and decide if it is right for me. I also like Google and Chrome for that matter. What does concern me is the possible demise of the PC as we know it.

I don't normally follow threads in this forum section since they are almost always way over my head but I just looked at my screen and noticed a little windows style icon in the lower right corner (on the task bar?). Holding the cursor over it causes it to say get windows 10. Right clicking on it brings up 4 options - none of which are delete.

Sneaky huh?

Ben

Hi nicky9499:

Your link just hangs my computer up to the point I had to turn it off to clear it (more skullduggery by Microsoft perhaps).:hehe:

Hi BLACKWATCH:

Your link provides info but nothing about how to remove the little windows style icon in the lower right corner (unless I missed it).

I have nothing against windows10. I plan on buying a new computer later this year and will have it come with windows10 professional. I just don't want it on my current one.

Question: If it somehow gets installed (without me doing anything) what does that do to all your programs, files, etc.. Wouldn't its installation effectively erase everything (similar to re-installing windows 7 for example)?

Ben

Hi nicky9499:

Your link just hangs my computer up to the point I had to turn it off to clear it (more skullduggery by Microsoft perhaps).:hehe:

Hi BLACKWATCH:

Your link provides info but nothing about how to remove the little windows style icon in the lower right corner (unless I missed it).

I have nothing against windows10. I plan on buying a new computer later this year and will have it come with windows10 professional. I just don't want it on my current one.

Question: If it somehow gets installed (without me doing anything) what does that do to all your programs, files, etc.. Wouldn't its installation effectively erase everything (similar to re-installing windows 7 for example)?

Ben

No Ben it is an update erases nothing and leaves all your existing stuff intact or 99% of it.

Well that's good news for folks who install it (tho I won't - or rather I won't on purpose). Now if I can just be certain to not click on the un-clickable.:hehe:

Thanks gents,

Ben

Back