Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all!

fen_tiger

Building the Wisbech line

May I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Here is my new addition to my slowly growing model railway collection - Hornby's (R1179) limited edition OO gauge train-set available just for Christmas 2014.
UK RRP is £69.99 but I got it at a sale price of just £49.99 at Beales Department Store in King's Lynn, Norfolk yesterday (20th December).

ca650e9ce9d6af07c0add3e57d5d34c6.jpg

Andy.

Last edited:
Any idea what that Hornby 0-4-0 is modelled on? It has an extremely tapered boiler for a tank engine! I guess it's GWR-like, but even so.

Anyway, Happy Christmas Andy!

Paul

Any idea what that Hornby 0-4-0 is modelled on? It has an extremely tapered boiler for a tank engine! I guess it's GWR-like, but even so.

Anyway, Happy Christmas Andy!

Paul
Holden tank No.101:
274_Slide1_1.jpg

It was a GWR one-off to test oil-burning, later converted to coal burning.

This RMWeb topic should help: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3470

Hornby's other 0-4-0's are based on Dowlais Ironworks #40 'King George V',
KGV40.jpg

...and Polly/Nellie is based on this LSWR tank, just with slightly modified dimensions:
274_s14_040t_1.jpg

Kieran.

Last edited:
Kieran, thanks for this. An eye-opener! Back in the 70s, I thought that Hornby just made this stuff up, I had no idea they were based on real prototypes. Oh, Hornby, how could I have doubted you!

Paul

Kieran, thanks for this. An eye-opener! Back in the 70s, I thought that Hornby just made this stuff up, I had no idea they were based on real prototypes. Oh, Hornby, how could I have doubted you!

Paul
You are quite welcome, Paul. I am pleased you found this information useful.

Merry Christmas/Chrimble to you and all other Trainzers. :D

Kieran.

Happy Christmas one and all :)

As soon as I took out the Santa 0-4-0 I immediately wondered what tank engine it was based upon, thinking it was a made-up design just for Hornby's 2014 xmas limited edition trainset, but thanks to CaptainKman for the photo of the real tank engine.

* Here's a comparision between my Hornby 'Caledonian Railways' 0-4-0 and my Hornby Xmas engine. Both engines use the same wheelbase frame, running gear and the same type of HP motor.

It seems my Bachmann BR Class 37427, Hornby BR Class 50011 & Hornby weathered BR Class 08419 wants in on both photos!

** I'm currently running in a new LED 16:9 PC monitor on my Zoostorm computer, so had to also adjust the resolution settings on TS12 - I'll be able to take widescreen in-game images once I get back working on my March to Wisbech branch line in the new year.

Andy.

Last edited:
* An afternoon blizzard has set in as 37195 stands at Wisbech Spillers (Wisbech East Goods Yard) at the head of a rake of VGA vans being loaded with petfood for onward transit to Paisley. The long time Gateshead based loco is looking suitably grimy on February 10th 1983.

Back