Max Speed Command

ldowns

I've been puzzling over the Set Max Speed command for a while, and haven't quite figured it out. I assumed that if you set a max speed of, say, 50 mph that a train might accelerate to that speed and no further. However, it seems that some kind of formula is being applied to reduce intermediate speeds as well, so that for example if max speed is set to 50 and the speed limit in effect is 45 the train will only go, say, 37 mph. The only way to get it to run at 45 mph in a 45 mph zone is to set the max speed to 60 or so.

Am I misunderstanding something? This makes it somewhat difficult to really know how fast a train will go in a given speed zone with max speed applied.

Thanks,
Lamont

The only thing that comes quickly to mind here (and I have not used this command for a while now so things may have changed) is the possibility of confusion between two different Set Max Speed To driver commands. One will set the speed in metric (km/h) and the other in imperial (mph). Set Max Speed To 50 will be 50 mph for the imperial version but will be about 80 km/h in metric. Likewise Set Max Speed To 50 will be 50 km/h for the metric version but will be about 31 mph in imperial.

Both versions will obey lower value speed signs (imperial and metric) but will return to their set limit when the local speed limit exceeds the set max limit.

My initial thoughts.

That sounded like the answer I needed, but a quick check of the command brought up its menu in which all speeds were in mph. (I use imperial in my routes.) Any other ideas?

Thanks again,
Lamont

My only suggestion at this point is to see what happens to the train speeds if you remove the Set Max Speed To commands from the driver command list. If it makes no difference then something else is at play. Has the route been set to metric instead of imperial?

Signaling and switches will affect the speed on the line. The AI can see quite far ahead compared to humans and if a junction is set against the AI driver, the AI driver will run at a lower speed as if there's a yellow signal. This is the same with upcoming interlocking signals, or if there are yellow permissive signal. If there are no signals, the AI will run at a lower caution speed regardless of what the maximum speed is.

Hi

Are you using multiple locos on the train? If so are you using different types of locos on the train?

If that is the case then look at the enginespecs for the locos and check the maxspeed figures. If they are different then the program calculates the train speed as a lower percentage (roughly three quarters but it varies) of the maxspeed instead of using the lowest maxspeed of the locos. It would seem that it's been this way for ever. I reported it a few years ago and was told it was a bug and would be rectified some time in the future. I can't see it being a priority for N3V though as it only crops up on the forum once in a blue moon.

If it really irritates you and you aren't creating something for the DLS then you can either adjust the maxspeed to be the same in all enginespecs or use the same engine spec in all the locos. Its not very satisfactory but it works. The other option is to ensure you use the same locos throughout the train.

If this isn't the problem then I have no idea what is causing it.

Regards

Brian

That sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing, as I usually double- or triple-head most trains. I'll experiment with this and see what I need to do to get the speeds I want. Thank you!

--Lamont

Back