Low performances

LeLion

Hello from France.

I purchased TrainZ 2012 a few days ago. And the result is not really as I would... I explain... The performances are dramatically low. The FPS are never up to 10. Of course, the screen resolution is as low as possible and the video options are in the same way.

When looking at the config necessary to play, I think to be "between" the minimum and the recommended. Just see (minimum - my config - recommended) :

Windows XP (SP3) - Windows 7 Integrale 64 - Vista/Windows 7 (64 Bit)
Pentium D 3.4GHz - AMD Dual Core 2,2 Gh - Core 2 Duo
1 GB RAM - 5 Go RAM - 2 GB RAM
nVidia GeForce 7200/128MB - nVidia GeForce 8400/512 - nVidia GeForce 8800

No special problem for the h.d. and for sounds, mouse and keyboard.

Actually, the game is impossible to play. I have remarked that the processeur is probably the problem. But what means "Core 2 Duo" (in the recommended config) ? You can find Core 2 Duo processor at 2,1 Gh !

I use ZASS (Zone Alarm) and the on-access analysis is off for the folder wher TZ is installed.

An oher thing : I followed step by step the process to install DirectX 9 (as DirectX 10 is on my computer). It worked fine, but TZ still recognize DirectX 10. So I uninstalled TZ and reinstall : the same. DirectX 9 is unknown for TZ...

Thank you for your answers (if they are...) and apologies for my mistakes in english.

Might be worth re-posting your specs itself in a new post, as I cannot understand them properly.

I'm suprised re: the DX issue. Someone recently had this issue, and solved it by installing Trainz on a different drive. This may not be possible in your situation, but if it is, it's worth doing.

Also, my DirectX update thread covers quite a few scenarios within it, including the one I've just mentioned.

Shane

@Shane.
LeLions has put the minimum specs first, his specs in the middle, and the required specs last ...........

like this........

....minimum..............................his specs..............................recommended

Windows XP (SP3) ----------- Windows 7 Integrale 64 ---------- Vista/Windows 7 (64 Bit)
Pentium D 3.4GHz ------------ AMD Dual Core 2,2 Gh ----------- Core 2 Duo
1 GB RAM --------------------- 5 Go RAM -------------------------- 2 GB RAM
nVidia GeForce 7200/128MB - nVidia GeForce 8400/512 --------- nVidia GeForce 8800

Last edited:
It's confused me in that manner.

This is why I asked him to repost them in a clearer fashion.

Also, there are a few other factors like hard drive size (free space) that he has not mentioned.

Shane

Hi,

Please check the virus protection you have.

My virus checker (Trend) will check every file as it loads from disc to memory.

This causes too much delay, so I have changed the settings so that the Auran folder is not checked.
This may help

Colin

Thank you for your interest in my problem.

About h.d.: there are still 38 Go free on the disk.
About antivirus : as I said, the folder where TZ is installed is excluded from the on-access analysis. Zone Alarm does not scan this folder.

I tried also to launch TZ with Game Booster with no more result.

Looking again at your specs, it appears that it should run, but as it is not at the recommended specs (apart from possibly memory), I would expect semi-choppy performance. Most Trainz veterans hopefully know that you need to be running the recommended specs in order to get anything decent out of Trainz.

It is worth though to check if your graphics drivers are up to date using NVidia's driver checker. The French version of the appropriate page is at http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/Scan.aspx?lang=fr. (Note: The site may require Internet Explorer)

Shane

I would say that the nVidia GeForce 8800 aught to have been the minimum recommendation in my opinion .......... but thats just me!

Game Booster may help if you have a lot of utility programs working in the background that are not required.

But yes the problem could be not enough hard drive space.
them backup files can get pretty massive without you knowing about it. But 38Gb should be plenty.

Last edited:
Reading up on specs, the nvidia Geforce 8400 was a replacement for the 7200 however it was not suitable for games and had a worse performance than the 7200. Think that may explain a lot.
I had one here in an older PC and it quite frankly was rubbish. The 8400GS was supposedly a bit better in that it used a different chip..

Nvidias crazy numbering system doesn't help. When newer probably entry level cards are often outperformed by higher spec older ones.

I think when checking specifications for games you need to look at what cards are equivalent in performance or better than minimum spec, not assume that a higher number is better. No use looking at manufactures advertising blurb as the are all "wonderful".

Hello from France.

I purchased TrainZ 2012 a few days ago. And the result is not really as I would... I explain... The performances are dramatically low. The FPS are never up to 10. Of course, the screen resolution is as low as possible and the video options are in the same way.

When looking at the config necessary to play, I think to be "between" the minimum and the recommended. Just see (minimum - my config - recommended) :

Windows XP (SP3) - Windows 7 Integrale 64 - Vista/Windows 7 (64 Bit)
Pentium D 3.4GHz - AMD Dual Core 2,2 Gh - Core 2 Duo
1 GB RAM - 5 Go RAM - 2 GB RAM
nVidia GeForce 7200/128MB - nVidia GeForce 8400/512 - nVidia GeForce 8800

No special problem for the h.d. and for sounds, mouse and keyboard.

Actually, the game is impossible to play. I have remarked that the processeur is probably the problem. But what means "Core 2 Duo" (in the recommended config) ? You can find Core 2 Duo processor at 2,1 Gh !

I use ZASS (Zone Alarm) and the on-access analysis is off for the folder wher TZ is installed.

An oher thing : I followed step by step the process to install DirectX 9 (as DirectX 10 is on my computer). It worked fine, but TZ still recognize DirectX 10. So I uninstalled TZ and reinstall : the same. DirectX 9 is unknown for TZ...

Thank you for your answers (if they are...) and apologies for my mistakes in english.
Your issue is that you need to go into the options of the game and drop the draw distance to about 1000-1500 meters. That will take some of the strain of your video card and allow the game to run in motion faster maybe. The processor may be an issue to since it is only a dual core (FYI: Intel cor 2 duo is basically the same processor that you have only yours is an AMD) Your processor may have issues processing the game fast enough.

Your machine has very similar specs to my original Trainz machine, although the performance of that wasn't nearly as bad. I think the 8400 is a real problem here. Adding a GT240 almost doubled my consistent FPS. I think the CPU is a bit weak too - going from 2.2GHz to 3.2 really boosted performance as well. Going a bit further than simply excluding Trainz from the anti-virus, actually turning it off entirely, as well as your firewall, and disconnecting the network cable might give you a bump.

" Going a bit further than simply excluding Trainz from the anti-virus, actually turning it off entirely, as well as your firewall, and disconnecting the network cable might give you a bump".
If you really need to perform these shutdowns every time you want to start Trainz then you REALLY need to think about buying more than a basic word processor to play games on. Don't pay out $100 and expect to do more than write a letter, pay $2000 (£1000) for a bottom line game machine and then complain when you get stutter.
To the OP, I think you need to look at your GPU, also check your hard drive speed as that makes an enormous difference. I use Raptors at 10,000rpm as apposed to the standard 7200rpm and believe me, the difference is enormous. :wave:

OK, thanks for these infos.

Now I know what to do - and the best way seems to buy a new graphic card. Or to play only Spider (a good game, by the way, but not exactly a train simulation ;) )

" Going a bit further than simply excluding Trainz from the anti-virus, actually turning it off entirely, as well as your firewall, and disconnecting the network cable might give you a bump".
If you really need to perform these shutdowns every time you want to start Trainz then you REALLY need to think about buying more than a basic word processor to play games on. Don't pay out $100 and expect to do more than write a letter, pay $2000 (£1000) for a bottom line game machine and then complain when you get stutter.
To the OP, I think you need to look at your GPU, also check your hard drive speed as that makes an enormous difference. I use Raptors at 10,000rpm as apposed to the standard 7200rpm and believe me, the difference is enormous. :wave:

Many gamers and performance users HAVE A SEPARATE MACHINE with no network connection, A/V, etc. inhibiting performance, myself included. It works well, though it's not for everybody.

OK, thanks for these infos.

Now I know what to do - and the best way seems to buy a new graphic card. Or to play only Spider (a good game, by the way, but not exactly a train simulation ;) )

I'd check the memory as well. 5 gigs is an odd number, most motherboards these days are dual channel or triple channel. Not having matched memory can slow the machine down. Use Belarc or crucial.com to scan the machine and the memory.

Also there are some performance sliders set them to the left.

Cheerio John

aquariusmediaaseo, and other users from India:

It is against forum rules to post advertising links. Please remove them as soon as you can.

Others:

Likewise, I am also following this thread with interest, to see where it goes. I can step in with further advice if needed.

Shane

Back