LOD for plants and plant splines

I thought the topic would get more exposure here rather than the "content creation" section.

When placing 3D grass or grass splines in surveyor one is often working very close the the scene. Zooming out results in blobs of grass that is very un-attractive on the route. I find myself placing alot of grass only to remove it after zooming out.

In real life the further away the grass is from view the more it "disappears" or blends in with its surroundings. We don't see blobs of grass.

Would it be possible to make grass in Trainz the same way? Instead of a blob the LOD would gradually just disappear.

Randy

Couldn't the creator just adjust the LODs so that it mirrors what you desire? Are you just posting this as suggestion for creators then? A good idea, none the less!:)

Well, I've recently read that the game disregards LOD maps and decides for itself how an object will be displayed at what distance. Perhaps a creator cannot alter the appearance after all.

Well, I've recently read that the game disregards LOD maps and decides for itself how an object will be displayed at what distance. Perhaps a creator cannot alter the appearance after all.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'LOD maps' here, but yes- what the content looks like at different LOD levels is absolutely under the control of the content creator.

kind regards,

chris

What has been said is that in the case of scenery objects, the point at which LOD switches is not directly controlled by the creator, though it is for splines.

The distance at which different texture detail levels is displayed is (IIRC) entirely under program control, and I think it's the downsampling of the alpha (transparency) channel that tends to make grass look 'clumpy' in the distance. I'd like to know how to avoid this too...

Paul

Back