Load track information from GIS maps

drews

I know this has probably been asked before 1000 times. I'm very new to Trainz and want to recreate the rail yards and lines in the capital and central regions of NYS. I have access to the rail lines in a MapInfo and/or Esri ARC file format and want to easily pull them into the surveyor to avoid hours of guessing. Can someone point me in the right direction? Is there a direction/solution? I've been searching and Google'ing with no luck.

I know this has probably been asked before 1000 times. I'm very new to Trainz and want to recreate the rail yards and lines in the capital and central regions of NYS. I have access to the rail lines in a MapInfo and/or Esri ARC file format and want to easily pull them into the surveyor to avoid hours of guessing. Can someone point me in the right direction? Is there a direction/solution? I've been searching and Google'ing with no luck.

Hi Drew,

First of all I want to welcome to Trainz and the forums.

There is a way to import a GIS maps into Trainz using TransDEM. This is a third-party program made by Trainz forum member Geophil.

The alternative is to generate a displacement map using MicroDem. With MicroDem, you can then load in the TIGER overlay which is the roads and railroad lines that you see on the maps. To import all of this into Trainz, you need to get the HOG (Hand Of God) utility to produce the files necessary for Trainz to produce the baseboards.

You may want to search this information on the forums as this will have a better explanation than I can give.

John

Back