Laptops that work with everything

slugsmasher

US Narrow Gauge kuid86661
IN the market for a new laptop. Last one that worked with TRS06/TRS04, Gmax, 3ds Max 4.2, PS 7.0 was a Dell XPS M1710. I fried the Nvidia gforce video card finally after 4 years and ebay/ "laptop parts pirates R us" wants over 400 bucks for a new card. I could buy a new used machine for nearly that much and rob the video card to get my old dog running but I'm thinking it is not worth the effort anymore.

For reference this machine had:
Intel Dual Core T2400
1GB DDR2 ram
512Mb 7900GS Nvidia gforce go

Yes the specs are lame at todays standards but I bought this in 2005. It ran everything I needed it to perfectly.

New systems I am looking at:

Quad core

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-720QM Processor (1.6GHz, 6MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB)

1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 230M

Dual core

2.53GHz Intel Core2 Duo P8700 Processor (3MB L2 Cache, 1066 MHz FSB)

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 (M96) with up to 2.8 GB total available graphics memory with 1 GB dedicated

My pricepoint is at or less than 1500 US bucks, less is of course better.
15.4" preferred screen, more is ok but not necessary since it will likely be docked on a bigger screen for serious work anyway. Smaller - why?
Max out the memory of course, 4MB DDR2 minimum.
Windows 7 Pro.
Must be able to run 3ds Max 4.2, gmax and PS 7.0 (I am NOT upgrading, too expensive)

I've been eyeballing the HP DV6T series laptops. I had one of those already and it worked great other than the VISTACRUD OS not being able to run older programs like 3ds Max, (gave the thing to my daughter). I got the specs above from their current machines.

Experiences or recommendations appreciated.

Have you checked out the 'TWINHEAD' laptops?

I have one that has run everything I have installed so far with no hassles.

They do cost a bit more but are very good quality machines.

Originally designed for the military they can be dropped off a table with no damage. (I would not recommend testing this claim though.)

Dennis

I have an HP dv2000 and have had a lot of luck with the HP company in general. Now most computers come standard with Windows 7, which is basically Vista without most of the compatibility issues, so there should be no issue. I lucked out and got mine before they switched to vista standard. But it'll run trainz, gmax, paint.net (which is basically free Paintshop with a few fewer features). Since the DV6T seems to be the bigger brother to that, it should work out fine.

I'Ve bought a similar laptop, except it was silver, and i couldn't get anything downloaded, but now, i have it figured out, so i'm going to do it.

I have an ATI Radeon graphics card, and I have read that it's not good for Trainz. However, I run TRS06 on an HP Pavilion Ent PC with Vista, and so far even the most caked up routes run smooth for me most of the time. But... My water looks funny unless I set it to "glassy". I don't know if this is a card or setting issue. I have tried many recommendations from the folks here, and I still can't get my water to look right aside from using said setting.

Hmmm.. Pretty clear that the best laptop chips are no where near as good as the desktop cards. The Mobility Radeon HD 4870 looks to be the best laptop card in that chart. They did introduce an X2 model last spring.

William

done and done

Here is what I ended up with, the HDD is kinda slow but I think there will be much happiness otherwise:

ASUS G72

◦Intel® Core™2 Duo mobile processor P8700
Features 2 processing cores, 1066MHz system bus, 3MB L2 cache and 2.53GHz processor speed per core.
◦6GB DDR2 memory
◦Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
◦17.3" LED-backlit LCD high-definition plus widescreen display
With 1600 x 900 resolution.
◦500GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
◦Built-in facial recognition.
◦NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M graphics Features 1GB GDDR3.
*HDMI output for connecting to an HDTV. 2 built-in speakers with DSP and Dolby Home Theater support.
◦Built-in 1.3MP webcam
◦8-in-1 media reader
Supports MultiMediaCard, Secure Digital, xD-Picture Card, Smart Media, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO and Memory Stick Duo formats.
◦IEEE 1394 (FireWire) interface and 4 high-speed USB 2.0 ports
◦Built-in wireless LAN (802.11b/g/n)
◦Built-in 10/100/1000 Mbps fast Ethernet LAN
◦Weighs 8.8 lbs. and measures 2" thin
◦Fair battery life
Of up to 1 hour and 23 minutes (most accurate statement on battery life yet)
◦Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit operating system preinstalled

Don't get too misled by the battery life claims.

Mostly you will find if you only run Notepad, you might get good battery life.

If you are running any sort of high graphic games the battery life will be a heck of a lot shorter.

Mine has a four hour battery but I have never seen it go anywhere near that. The best I can get is usually ninety minutes running Trainz.

Dennis

Back