@@@ JCitron --

ish6

Since 2001
Hi John, sir

I read at another thread a few weeks back your suggestion on using Diskeeper ... I decided to try the trail version.

How did it perform compare to other freeware options that's available on sites like cnet, etc?

Thanks in advance
Ishie

Hi John, sir

I read at another thread a few weeks back your suggestion on using Diskeeper ... I decided to try the trail version.

How did it perform compare to other freeware options that's available on sites like cnet, etc?

Thanks in advance
Ishie

Hi Ish,

It works quite well and much faster than the free versions such as Defraggler and Smart Defrag (IO-Bit). You need to do some fiddling though. Go into the settings and turn off the automatic defrag because that can mess with the content and cause a database crash. I had that issue with TS12 so I turned that off to ensure it doesn't ruin my T:ANE install. Other than that it does a good job.

Hope this helps.

John

Hello John, sir --

Thanks for the info!

I ma searching for my own kuids: KUID:58223:28916, which I can't locate in my files -- What was that link again on searching net for kuids?

I thought I bookmarked it!

Thanks in advance
Ish

Hi Ish,

Kuid search link:

http://www.trainzkuidindex.com/

You need to register it is free or voluntary donation

Hello John, and fellow trainzers --

I have a question --
As you know my windows OS crashed, however, the hard drive is still useable; I have used the HD in via external HD portal --

My question:
If I delete the windows folder which contain the OS, is there any other folder I need to delete to completely remove the OS, and still keep the info on the hard drive!?

Please note -- this is an experiment, as everything on that hard drive has been saved -- It's not about formatting the hard drive, but more like let's see what works and doesn't work now that I know this hard drive OS is corrupted! -- And I can do whatever to it!

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Ish

Steve Gibson is getting a lot of plugs lately!

I know Spinrite well, was on the Gibson Research News group for many years.

If I delete the windows folder which contain the OS, is there any other folder I need to delete to completely remove the OS, and still keep the info on the hard drive!?

There is no need to delete anything. If the system is not configured to use this disk as a boot disk, then the presence of the operating system (albeit corrupted) on that disk won't affect anything. You can leave it as it is, or remove whatever you want.

There is no need to delete anything. If the system is not configured to use this disk as a boot disk, then the presence of the operating system (albeit corrupted) on that disk won't affect anything. You can leave it as it is, or remove whatever you want.

Hello, sir

This is just experimenting here! Just want to see what happens if I do that, or this ... etc :wave:

Kind Regards
Ish

Would suggest you check this Utility....."SPINRITE" https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm......HD integrity is important as the OS you use, I'm from Dos 2.0 era, 1980's, and had my share of DOS and WIN OS crashes etc...........Best of luck sir,

Hello Blue, sir ...

Sometimes there's multiple folders, which the OS uses, and I want to make sure I get them all --- This is all for experimental purposes to see what happens if I do this, that, etc ...

I think by experimenting on a hard drive that's useless can help me see what happens if any my HDs crashes in the future, so I don't panic! LOL

Take care Blue
Ish

Sorry Ish for not being around lately. I've been busy chasing storms online all night! :)

As has been said, the hard drive is not in use by the operating system, which means as you've found out it's not accessed. However, you are going to run into a permissions issue on some folders not due to these being system files, but due to you now logging in as a new user even though you have the same username.

Windows, like Unix and Linux, doesn't track the username per se. This is only for us humans to see. The system tracks the user via special attributes and files which are inaccessible for security reasons. In Windows, starting with Windows NT and up, part of this information this information is actually in part of the registry, which we do not have access to. It's a full database referred to as SAM, or Security Access Management and exists as a hive in the registry tree.

You will see this if you were to right-click on some file or folder and choose security and then permissions. In there you will see unknown user followed by S-(BIG HEX number). This is the actual tracking id for the user.

You can try deleting these users, but that does not always work due if the user is at an Admin level. To get to that level, you will have to take ownership of the folder and then possibly delete the user.

John

Hello John,

no need for apologies, sir --- I bet you're checking out all of these tornadoes that's happening all at once, the weather channel said the other day!

Oh, ok, thank you -- very informative -- Imagine how many questions I would have ask if you where in these forum when it all began so long ago ... :wave:

I started with DOS ... pc was very expensive in the 90s --- I am not a computer expert, but had one in those days! My father-in-law gave us a bunch of money as a wedding gift, and my wife then wanted a computer, so that's how I got involved!

Anyhow, thank you again for the info --- you're like my "to-go" guy for these things!:hehe:

Take Care now
Ish

You're welcome, Ish.

I sure have been checking out those storms. They are scary stuff and not the fun part of chasing. That said I'll be gone for the next two weeks train and storm chasing. Hopefully I'll be able to maintain forum contact during the trip.

DOS, aye.. Computers were expensive back then and also made better I think with solid components and parts we could see. Today everything is so tiny and so difficult to work with, though once they go together they work well most of the time. I started, by the way, with CP/M which came out before DOS. By the time I got CP/M. DOS was out and beating into it. Eventually I replaced my CP/M machine with an early PC. It was like night and day, but very similar. Yes, DOS contains some CP/M-like commands, yet it's different at the same time. This made switching between the two very befuddling at times. Actually I should mention that DOS is even closer to Unix and VMS due to the engineers that worked on it at the time. I found this out when I was working with the big DEC Vax mainframes and mini computers. This was great stuff and sadly all gone now with that point and click pretty interface.

Anyway, have fun experimenting. You're not going to hurt anything by trying. :)

John

Back