Is there any interest in a train RPG?

Let me start off by saying that RPG is Roleplaying game. Basically, i have a small skill in javascript coding, and was thinking of making an RPG with a railroad theme. Basically, you pick a job, and then you post what happens in one of many area themed forum blocks. And the more you post the more $ (fake and forum only) you make, and then you can spend that in a shop that is built into the site. Is there any interest?

For a sample i will post to my star wars one. You can see how the RPG profile and such are set up there, though you won;t see any actual roleplaying. Thats saved for members. Also, if you are by any chance a star wars fan please join!
http://s3.invisionfree.com/Jedi_VS_Sith/

As someone who once played several RPGs, I don't see a railroad one as successful. One thing that makes RPGs work is choosing from many different paths, a railroad themed one would be limited in comparison. Closest you could get would be some type of business simulation similar to how the original railroad tycoon worked.

Or something like a puzzle. You create a fictional railroad and give everyone jobs then they have to work out assignments, runs, etc. You would also need some way of handling random events like interaction with other railroads and weather.

Now that you mention it that is a good point. I guess that puts this project down in the dumps.... Oh well. If anyone really wants this i will go ahead with it, but he is rght so im not gonna work too hard on it right now unless people see it as being worth the time, though i don't.

I wasn't aware that Trainz is just a "game"? To me, and many others no doubt, it is about far more than just "playing trains". I try to make my Trainz as realistic as possible, by using only the correct "period" stock for the era I am running in. In other words, I use "modellers licence" as little as possible.
Personally speaking, I would have no interest in turning my Trainz into an RPG, now, or at any time in the future.
Being purely selfish here, but my Trainz worlds are just that, they are "my" worlds, full of "my" memories, and I would not countanence any intruders!

From my reading of the first post, the idea was to create a railroad themed RPG....RPGs are forum based and wouldn't have anything to do with the Trainz program...:cool:

To put in another way, the closest you have to an RPG is like when a bunch of modellers get together for an operating session. Some are engineers, dispatchers, yardmasters, etc. Only difference is most RPGs (forum based, pen-n-paper or live action) allow some flexibility in what you can do. Sci-Fi, Espionage, etc, you can pick from different jobs and can change jobs too.
A Train one that's forum based wouldn't work, too slow and no imagery to work with. Modellers have physical tools to work with.
I guess the closest you could get would be liek what I've seen the MSTS users do and you could do it through I-Portal. But it would have to be planned out in advance:
1 - how many.
2 - what route(s).
3 - who does what job.

Back