Is it possible ?

BobBerman

In surveyor, can tracks - particularly when you've finally got a working yard ladder - be cut and pasted to other parts of the route? Can stuff from other routes be imported into your own ? Bob

yes. that yard ladder can be cut and pasted into another part of that route.
for cutting and pasting something from one route to another i think that is not possible.

You can't copy / paste track but if you have track in another route you want to import, you can do in surveyor this way:

Open the route which contains the track you want to import.
Delete all the baseboards you don't need and then "save as" under another name.
Then open the route you want to import the track section into, and select "merge route" (or "merge baseboards"?) from the surveyor menu at the top left.
Choose where you want the baseboard(s) to be placed using the on-screen arrows (I think it's arrows anyway) and then click ok.
Hey presto, lots of time saved :)

Of course it's limited in terms of where you can place the imported track (ie you can't place it on an existing baseboard) but it's good enough for me!

Cheers,

JB

I"ve never tried it but won"t you be able to C + P fixed radii curves and points because they are not splines?

Yes you can copy and paste textures, relief / topology and anything that appears in the scenery objects tab.

@ Bob the copy & paste tool can be found in the tools tab (along with the cameras, rulers etc)

There are six icons on the bottom of this tab. The top row of these icons are copy / paste / cancel selection and the bottom row are the icons which let you choose what should be copied, for example you can deselect textures to copy only the relief and scenery objects. If you hover your mouse cursor over the buttons it'll tell you what each one does :)

Cheers,

JB

Right- thanks again all for the quick thoughts - I can almost see an end to my first layout :eek: just a shame I can't replicate something I was finally able to get right after days of trying. Bob

The scenery part of the fixed track (only arrows shown in surveyor) is copied but not the track (spline object) part of it so it's not an option. At least that's how it works in TRS2004.

Not all scenery objects are copied over with copy and paste either for instance tacksides are not even though they are scenery and stored in the obs fle.

Right now you'll need a 3rd party utility to copy and paste spline objects - track, roads, fences and the like. This is one reason why I started doing my route design work in cad so I could move, copy, rotate and/or translate any track arrgt I wanted at the drawing stage and then convert it directly into a trk file with the utility I wrote. It won't do a general copy/paste of splines. It will though take a specified part of a cad drawing and scale/translate/rotate and convert or optionally merge it into an existing trk file.

Bob Pearson

Last edited:
The scenery part of the fixed track (only arrows shown in surveyor) is copied but not the track (spline object) part of it so it's not an option. At least that's how it works in TRS2004.

Not all scenery objects are copied over with copy and paste either for instance tacksides are not even though they are scenery and stored in the obs fle.

Right now you'll need a 3rd party utility to copy and paste spline objects - track, roads, fences and the like. This is one reason why I started doing my route design work in cad so I could move, copy, rotate and/or translate any track arrgt I wanted at the drawing stage and then convert it directly into a trk file with the utility I wrote. It won't do a general copy/paste of splines. It will though take a specified part of a cad drawing and scale/translate/rotate and convert or optionally merge it into an existing trk file.

Bob Pearson

Hi Bob. Could you point toward a link that would do this magic ? Bob

Back