Install Trainz + on Laptop

WestSideRailways

IF I install My Trainz+ on my laptop using the same Username, will all my routes which are on my Desktop be on my Laptop , or will I have to transfer them.??

You will have to transfer them

Navigate to C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\N3V Games open the trsxx folder or Tane if you have Tane. Then open the build xxxxxxx folder.
Back up the following folders

Local
Original
Packages

Best to back these up using WinRar or WinZip but don't use the normal standard .Zip file option. Once you have backed up in a .rar file or 7zip file whichever you prefer.
You can then extract using either WinRar or WinZip to the same destination inside the build xxxxxxxx folder, launch Trainz, click on Developer then Rebuild Database.

Edit: If you build routes and sessions ideal to back up the 'Backup' and 'Editing' folders, if you have anything within them.

You will have to transfer them

Navigate to C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\N3V Games open the trsxx folder or Tane if you have Tane. Then open the build xxxxxxx folder.
Back up the following folders

Local
Original
Packages

Best to back these up using WinRar or WinZip but don't use the normal standard .Zip file option. Once you have backed up in a .rar file or 7zip file whichever you prefer.
You can then extract using either WinRar or WinZip to the same destination inside the build xxxxxxxx folder, launch Trainz, click on Developer then Rebuild Database.

Edit: If you build routes and sessions ideal to back up the 'Backup' and 'Editing' folders, if you have anything within them.
Thanks for your reply....
even better idea, backed up to my DS920 and then i can just transfer to my laptop... when at home too many GBs to do while mobile.

OK next question.... this will mean that I will have 2 copies of my routes.
any easier way of keeping up to date, besides copying folders between computers.?

I don`t think so, but a little script that chooses which directory based on modification time ought to do the trick. Got any scripting languages available that are up to the task?

Here is 1 way of doing it....
To find the latest version of a file from two computers, you can follow these steps:

1. File History (Windows):
    • If you’re using Windows, File History is a built-in feature that automatically backs up your files to an external drive or network location. It keeps multiple versions of your files.
    • Enable File History on both computers and configure them to back up to the same location (such as an external hard drive or a network share).
    • When you need to access a previous version of a file, open File History and browse through the different versions. You can restore the desired version from there1.
    • To view or restore previous versions of a file:

Not at all. Load up Trainz afterward and let that do the update. No need for the script to trigger it. The script should run while Trainz is not running, and the rebuild has to be done while Trainz is running. Easier to do that part by hand.

I suppose that File History could do the trick, but does it work at the level of directories, or only of files?

With my laptop being a secondary device, I used to set up a duplicate of my desktop Trainz data-folder on it. When I came time to transfer the data back to the desktop, I would sort the data by date in Content Manager on the laptop and then export any new content to CDPs and copy those over the desktop via a network share and then import the content into the desktop copy.

When the data was imported, I submitted any data and overwrote the copy on the desktop since I already had backups of that version of the route and session prior to working on it on the laptop.

This is a KISS method without relying on some backup software to do the same thing because I managed the process myself and knew exactly what files I copied over and where. The CDP copy of the route and session also served as an interim backup too.

With my laptop being a secondary device, I used to set up a duplicate of my desktop Trainz data-folder on it. When I came time to transfer the data back to the desktop, I would sort the data by date in Content Manager on the laptop and then export any new content to CDPs and copy those over the desktop via a network share and then import the content into the desktop copy.

When the data was imported, I submitted any data and overwrote the copy on the desktop since I already had backups of that version of the route and session prior to working on it on the laptop.

This is a KISS method without relying on some backup software to do the same thing because I managed the process myself and knew exactly what files I copied over and where. The CDP copy of the route and session also served as an interim backup too.
Sounds like the best IDEA so far.....

Back