IndustRail -- the next iteration of Urban IndustRail

philskene

I've just uploaded "IndustRail 1a". This is the next iteration of the "Urban IndustRail" series, which started as a simple two module Loco Depot and has grown progressively larger.

IndustRail portrays an extensive Class 3 regional railroad company operating in heavily built-up urban areas. The IndustRail Company provides high quality freight services to a large number of industries and provides switching services on behalf of Class 1 railroads.

The route has a separated track for the Class 1 AI trainz. The AI trainz share a common track with the IndustRail route at numerous squeeze points.

The route is scenic, well detailed and includes many interactive industries to cater for a wide variety of interactive rolling stock. It should appeal to those who enjoy both switching and line-haul operations in an interesting and varied environment with an authentic railroad atmosphere.

All assets needed by this route are on the Download Station and will be installed when the route is downloaded.

Despite the high level of detail, frame rates are excellent on a mid-range single core P3.2 computer with a 256MB video card.

I've revisited some areas of the earlier version, adding deatils and changing textures. The maps have also been revised:

IndustRail_map_00.jpg

The earlier vesion terminated at Hyde:

UI1_008.jpg

The route now continues northward in a sweeping curve towards the east.

UI1_009.jpg

This is a new deviation constructed by a Class 1 railroad.

The old alignment serves the grain terminal and a small mine at Alexander:

IR1_001.jpg

IR1_002.jpg

(CONTINUES)

Last edited:
(CONTINUED)

The line then heads south:

IndustRail_map_09.jpg

Firstly past XL-Ent Furniture (specialty high quality furniture) and the Cal-C-Fication plant (processing the ore from Alexander mine):

UI1_010.jpg

Both these industries incorporate bendorsey's rotary dumper:

IR1_005.jpg

IR1_004.jpg

Then the TinPenny Drum Company that manufactures and cleans oil drums for Conoco Petrochemicals and other companies:

UI1_011.jpg

And the Boxings Company that specializes in manufacturing and repairing shipping containers:

UI1_012.jpg

To bring a little element of finality to the route, it now terminates at Lys, which some will be familiar with from my Riverside and Port Switching routes. This may be a temporary arrangement - the route may continue further south at a later stage.

Maps and a readme are included in the folder containing the route.

In a route of this complexity I find it difficult to eliminate all errors. If any are found, I would welcome details.

I will be uploading two sessions that can be used to explore the route and also act as templates for setting up the AI trainz.

Look for this thumbnail on the Download Station:

IndustRailLarge.jpg

Phil

Last edited:
This looks excellent, as always. Does this still have any connection with Riverside Railroad Company where Lys also appears but in a totally different layout context?

Thanks Phil.

Terry

Last edited:
Hi Terry --

Ummm - well yes.

A little bit of history -

It all started with Loco Depot. After a few iterations and adding the port area and steel works, the southern terminus became Invercargill (with the ability to join to "Austral Bay").

Then the route headed off north, finally kinda finishing (or un-finishing) at Hyde in Version 8.

I then thought I'd try my hand at a small super-detailed little layout based on Invercargill, just four or five baseboards in size. Frame rates were woeful, it really looked no better, I striped out most of the super-detail, and the final outcome was Diaspar of "YardSwitchingCo".

Then there was the great Route Building Competition, and I submitted "PortSwitchingCo" = Lys. A great little module, full of operating possibilities and interest. But not enough of yous guys voted for it to win !~!

For some time I'd had a hankering to revisit "BesideTheRiver" which has some lovely sweeping curves and river crossings, so I re-worked BTR and added Diaspar at one end and Lys at the other, giving "RiversideRailroadCo". Again, a nice scenic and interesting route with the ability to move freight from one terminus to the other.

Back to Urban IndustRail now - the original Invercargill has been removed and replaced with the very similar but better Diaspar at the southern end.

The route loops up and back from Hyde, through the new industrial areas, but I felt the need to somehow terminate the route - hence drafting Lys onto the end.

At some future stage I'll remove Lys, extend the route some more and either do a new terminus or reattach Lys.

However, I'm also finding that perhaps the route is getting a bit too large. IndustRail takes a few more seconds to load than earlier versions and the end to end travel time is, well, I'm not exactly sure, but it is becoming a long trip.

Maybe a few more extra modules and then I'll quit before it ceases to be a Class 3 short line.
_____

So yes - this has been a very long winded way of saying that both Riverside and IndustRail have the same termini. The bits in between, however, are very different. I hope you all find it interesting.

Phil

Hi Phil
It looks great, looking forward to it.

The fact that saving a session sometimes screws it up suggests that you call it a day before it becomes too unwieldy, doing a session end to end is going to be a long run and doing short sessions kinda defeats the object of having it all joined up.
Perhaps its time to do something completely different and leave this as a monument to your skill and patience. ( do lots of sessions for it tho.) :clap: :clap: :clap:

Of course you COULD join them all together then we'd all have to buy second-hand cray supercomputers to run it, just think, from Austral Bay to Tinkers, up to Van den H , across to anderson ,up to Petersburgh, round to Hoskings then you could join Industrail to Hoskings, then......................perhaps not :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:
Cheers for now
Roy.

EDIT
some time later.
I got permission to take Heavy Harry out of mothballs and give him a run to clear the cobwebs from his smokebox.
end to end at 50mph takes 50 minutes.
That's without the pesky AI's getting in the way
so, thats about 40-45 miles I guess.
thats not much when you think about it.

Cheers
Roy

Last edited:
Thanks for the very comprehensive history Phil. :)

I must admit that whilst trying most, if not all of your versions over the years, I'd lost the thread somewhat.

All now becomes a lot clearer. ;)

Terry

EDIT
end to end at 50mph takes 50 minutes.
That's without the pesky AI's getting in the way
so, thats about 40-45 miles I guess.
thats not much when you think about it.

Cheers
Roy

Hey Roy

How have you managed to run on the new setup when it doesn't appear to be on the DLS yet? Or am I misunderstanding something?

Terry

The fact that I "uploaded" doesn't mean you guys can actually "download" it.

Not yet anyway. It has to go through the Auran process.

Phil

Hello Phil,

I have downloaded your Industrail. It's a very impressive map with a lot to do on it. :)
Thanks for your way of creating a great urban industrial area which can be used anywhere in the world with little modifications as far as Europe is concerned. I shall adapt it to the Lorraine's area in France.

Not all.

All the loco facilities that supply coal, water and diesel fuel are.

Plus the industries that are used in the session.

The others aren't, for the simple reason that it would take longer than eternity to configure them all - there are just too many to do in my lifetime.

Phil

What locomotive is that Atsf? F40? Is it on the download station?
It's an FP45, basically an SD45 with a cowl body, extended frame and steam generator for passenger service:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMD_FP45
http://www.dallasrailwaymuseum.com/fp45.html
There also existed a freight only derivative, the F45: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMD_F45
Examples of both are on the DLS:
The FP45 in both '90's style warbonnet (the one shown in Phil's screenshots) - <kuid2:82412:73450001:1>
and '70's and 80's Yellowbonnet - <kuid2:82412:73450002:1>
and the F45 is available in BN colors: <kuid2:97212:17254:1>
Hope that helps!
:)
Barry

"Is it on the download station?"

That particular one is VMD payware.

It's superb, but needed a bit of fiddling with the textures to get it showing correctly in TS2010.

Phil

Back