impossible to reset a driver session at the begining in TRS22

capitol

Hello all.
I crated a driver session. I used surveyor once to edit the session while i was in driver mode.
Now i cannot restart the session an the begining.

I had a lot of isues whith TRS22 and geting help is more and more difficult.
How to use this game if you are not a computer genius? Forum is not a great help and helpdesk dont want to help.

I am a train user since 2009 and i never had so many trouble but TRS is a nightmare.

My response to this post as it appeared in your post in another thread on this topic.

--------------------------

May I suggest a read of the following Wiki Page on using the UDS and avoiding common mistakes users, especially inexperienced users, make?

How to Use the UDS

In a nutshell. When using the UDS you can halt a running session at anytime and jump into Surveyor to make edits then resume the running session with your changes made. I find this to be a very powerful tool when testing routes and sessions.

However, there is a trap that is easily made when users first encounter the UDS. They will often save their changes before resuming the driving session. There is nothing wrong with doing that but often, from the posts that sometimes appear in these forums, when they save the edited session they overwrite (replace) the original starting session with their edited version. The session will be saved with all the consists in their new positions (even if the consists are in the route, not the session), the session rules will be saved in their current states which will be different from their states in the starting session, switches will be saved in their current (and not their original) positions, industries and wagon loads will be saved with their current product levels, etc.

So when you later reload this session to start again, most things (if not everything) will be different.

The remedy, as explained in the Wiki page, is to save the edited session under a new name thus preserving the original session.

Hello all.
I crated a driver session. I used surveyor once to edit the session while i was in driver mode.
Now i cannot restart the session an the begining.

I had a lot of isues whith TRS22 and geting help is more and more difficult.
How to use this game if you are not a computer genius? Forum is not a great help and helpdesk dont want to help.

I am a train user since 2009 and i never had so many trouble but TRS is a nightmare.

The early TRS19 versions work ok because there was "Edit Trains". You could do just as you described. The underlying session stayed unchanged.

Hello
So if i understand, i have to delete my session and recreate it as there is no way to get back to the original version? this is weird! There is no warning about that. I craeted many session before and i never had this issue. I tried this new way to swap to surveyor because i beleive it was an interesting tool but this game is more and more complicated to use as there is many traps.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation.

Hello
So if i understand, i have to delete my session and recreate it as there is no way to get back to the original version? this is weird! There is no warning about that. I craeted many session before and i never had this issue. I tried this new way to swap to surveyor because i beleive it was an interesting tool but this game is more and more complicated to use as there is many traps.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation.

For certain methods of session creation, where you wish to retain original consist positions among other things, the UDS is a disaster. However, it is not without its benefits. I installed the Timber Ridge, a huge route, and it takes minutes to switch between surveyor and driver.

For certain methods of session creation, where you wish to retain original consist positions among other things, the UDS is a disaster. However, it is not without its benefits.

"Disaster" is far too strong a description. Using the UDS, like when using layers and sessions, requires some thought and care. From the posts that still appear in these forums years after they were introduced, layers and sessions still cause "issues" for some users and even I still get tripped up by adding objects to the wrong layer - and that also happens in other programs, not just Trainz, that use layers or similar. Adding visible labels about which layer is "active" makes no difference.

With the UDS the simple method I use is when editing I always save an edited session with a new name. If I am just editing the route then there is no need to save the session at all.

For the many users who have experienced the destruction of their original session, and reached out to the forum, it quite likely rises to the disastrous level. I suppose some sessions are subject to more emotion than others:cool:. Oh, one harkens back to the days of "Edit Trains", where these poor souls had a reasonable chance of understanding what they were trying to do, and actually accomplished it!

Last edited:
I always keep a backup of my current session in case I mess something up, I can overwrite the installed session with one backed up to a CDP.

Ditto.

I apply the same philosophy (backups and backups of the backups) to everything I do on computers - and never backup to the same device that stores the original working data. Many a hard lesson has been learnt over the years. Plus its a great excuse late at night when your partner asks "when are you coming to bed?" - you answer "when I finish my backups".

Back