I hope Management will reconsider

Status
Not open for further replies.

crisger

RR Mod Maker
I am more and more sad to see the forced marketing of Trainz using the various packages and silly things like the points you can earn which smacks of the social media ninesense. I love Trainz and what it can do esp TANE it is superior to any other train sim in many regards. Just keep doing what you do well. We do NOT need to be forced or coeerced into packaged deals. I will not particpate in any of them for principle tho I plan to continue to make first class assets and routes for Trainz again for TANE. the new and shiney system is lack luster for me, the graphics are very detailed but stale. I may be a lone voice in the wilderness but wanted to say a word of caution. You do not need to sell something to people who know what they want and need. And any discerning person can see Trainz is head and shoulders above any of its rivals, past or present.

Nuff said. Merry Christmas to all and thanks again Trainz for a wonderful way to create and experience rail road history in all of its fascinating aspects.

Chris

w96QEB.jpg

Rollins Pass 1910 TANE Jango and Team

BIKWL4.jpg

DNW&P Rotary Snow Plow Train Approaching the Loop, Rollins Pass

XtGRQq.jpg

Tabernash District Yard, Rollins Pass 1910

Hw9VMX.jpg

New Civil War Era Route Just Started in Development with a Partner Circa 1865 City Point and Army Line TANE

zWY8Hg.jpg

View of the USMRR Railroad Yard and Military Arsenal City Point

qP9Hb9.jpg

Full Operations at City Point Yard Phase 1 Development

O2Jp5c.jpg

USMRR Turntable in Use

QQPOB5.jpg

Coal Wharf and Waterfront Quartermaster Stores Warehouses, City Point 1865

I mean no disrespect to all who enjoy Trainz and the Develpment team but at times a detour can be a dead end. I hope for the best and plan to continue to work to make the very best contributions possible. But I dont need to be forced into packaging schemes. I love Trainz for what it already is.

Chris Gerlach
Team Lead, Rollins Pass 1910
Co-Lead, City Point Army Line USMRR Project 1865

I think there are two sides here. First the sim side, the content creator side if you like and the other the instant satisfaction or game side.

Both bring in money. The more money available in theory the fewer undocumented features which helps both sides.

Cheerio John

I am more and more sad to see the forced marketing of Trainz using the various packages and silly things like the points you can earn which smacks of the social media ninesense. I love Trainz and what it can do esp TANE it is superior to any other train sim in many regards. Just keep doing what you do well. We do NOT need to be forced or coeerced into packaged deals. I will not particpate in any of them for principle tho I plan to continue to make first class assets and routes for Trainz again for TANE. the new and shiney system is lack luster for me, the graphics are very detailed but stale. I may be a lone voice in the wilderness but wanted to say a word of caution. You do not need to sell something to people who know what they want and need. And any discerning person can see Trainz is head and shoulders above any of its rivals, past or present.

I was watching free-to-air TV the other night (a rare occurrence as there is usually nothing worth watching) and I noticed that every few minutes the program would stop and adverts would come on. At one stage I counted them - 8 in a row including a network promo for another show. By the time the show returned I had almost forgotten the plot. The network I was watching is losing money. I also subscribe to cable TV, fewer ads but they are also losing money. Social media and streaming companies (Netflix, Amazon TV, Apple TV etc) are taking over the entertainment industry.

In the software (gaming) industry at least, having a product that people will buy one copy of and use for years before they will think about upgrading, is no longer viable. Even the once wealthy, "license to print money", car industry is having trouble with this business model. How often do you buy a new car? Here in Oz we no longer make our own cars.

Without these "various packages and silly things like the points you can earn which smacks of the social media ninesense (sic)" N3V would have to rely on a growing market of new sales and no matter how many "discerning [people] can see Trainz is head and shoulders above any of its rivals, past or present" the railroad simulator/gaming market is simply not big enough to support the sort of business model that Auran (who later became N3V) started with.

I am thankful that N3V are keeping their options open by providing subscription options to those who want them while keeping outright sales for those who don't want or need a subscription. They just announced that TRS19 Platinum Edition, Trainz Plus without the constant updates and access to free DLC, will be available as an outright purchase - an option I am seriously considering.

My thoughts.

Last edited:
Agreed... I owned and operated a Hobby Store for five years. Though I carried pretty much all the normal Plaines, Trains, Cars, Models, Rockets and such I specialized in things not found in most hobby shops. Photo etch detail sets, aftermarket decals, etc etc. Those things that the "serious" hobbyist wanted. I LOVED serving the serious customer!

But do you know what made the most PROFIT for me in around 1999? Yo-yo's! That is correct. Yo-yo's! Boy did I sell a lot of $35 to $50 spun aluminum yo-yo's (along with the $4.95 wooden ones)! The next year I believe it was Pokemon cards that made the profit.

A business just HAS to do things to make money.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back