I have a major problem relating to downloads from a LINUX site

narrowgauge

92 year oldTrainz veteran
I'm struggling with downloads of files with .CDP extensions from a Godaddy Linux Cpanel hosted domain. All other extensions behave correctly but any .CDP type file is unpacked and shows the full contents of the CDP.

Godaddy suggested adding a 'Web.config' file containing:-

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<configuration>
  <system.webServer>

<staticContent>
 <mimeMap fileExtension="cdp" mimeType="application/compressed" />
 <mimeMap fileExtension="cdp2" mimeType="application/compressed" />
 <mimeMap fileExtension="cdp3" mimeType="application/compressed" />
      </staticContent>
  </system.webServer>
</configuration>

This is not effective. It is worth noting that other Godaddy Windows based sites do not have this problem which does seem to confirm that Linux is the problem.

I would be most grateful for a solution to this problem. In fact, if I was younger, I would name my next child after whoever solves this dilemma.

Peter

Nicky

Thanks for the reply but what I should have mentioned is that the links to the troublesome site are embedded in existing web site code which can't be changed, there are too many of them and I have no access to the code anyway. Unfortunately, I am stuck with finding a way to make the Linux/CPanel site treat the .CDP as a compressed file. A last resort is to migrate the site from Linux to Windows which I am reluctant to do if there is a possibility of a solution.

Peter

Pdkoester

Thank you. I am not trying to do this because I want to, I don't know Linux and I am stuck with the problem.
The .htaccess file should reside in the same directory as the designated files. The .htaccess entry has the following syntax:

AddType mime-type extUsing the .wmv file extension as an example, the .htaccess entry would be the following:
AddType video/x-ms-wmv wmv

Looking at your posted link, it appears that I should be using .htaccess instead. For that I thank you. I did not originate the code and thought it applied to Linux hosting. I see now that it related to Windows hosting. Using the example it seems that I should use .htaccess and equate .cdp to .zip as follows.

AddType application.compressed/.cdp .zip

Am I correct? I welcome your advice.

Peter

Last edited:
More...

I find that there is already an .htaccess file in the root folder folder containing:-

Code:
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^[^.]+\.[^.]+$
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.%{HTTP_HOST}/$1 [L,R=301]

As I don't know what this does can I tag the new code on the end of it?

Peter

Last edited:
Just add it underneath, if that doesn't work though, I think, you should be able to force download by adding AddType application/octet-stream .cdp to whatever else is in the .htaccess, long time since I've messed with anything like this.

Malc

Your suggestion of AddType application/octet-stream .cdp was the answer, I tried the other way and that didn't work. Many, many thanks. I was going crazy.

Peter

Back