How to pay for overseas international payware

cascaderailroad

I could use several major credit cards, or my bank account credit card, but I fear that someone could compromise my credit card identity, have a spending spree with my credit card, or empty out my bank account

I have heard that PayPal (and major credit cards) can be sometimes rejected on overseas international online payments

I am going to my bank and ask if I can open a small account, and reduce it to less than $100 ... that way identity thieves can not wipe out my accounts

I have a small debit account that I always keep well less than $100 in. It is connected to a debit card and also to a verified paypal account. It is the only online account I ever use. I use paypal when I can and the debit card otherwise. The only time it was compromised was at a local Home Depot store and the bank restored the lost lost funds and replaced the card. I set that up just for online purchases and it is working fine for that. I like you would never use other cards online.

Best wishes and Happy New Year.
Bob

I use PayPal for most of my very few online purchases, If an online retailer does not accept PayPal and I am unwilling to risk my credit card details, despite the safeguards, then I will not purchase from them. I am still a traditional "see it, feel it, smell it" type of shopper. My PayPal account is linked to an account at my bank which I maintain with a very minimal balance (about 25c). Just before I make a PayPal purchase I deposit the necessary funds into the account, otherwise the purchase will be rejected.

The only exception to this has been the N3V online store where I use my credit card, and I keep a close eye on all transactions there. Now that the online store is using US $, not AU $, I may switch to PayPal for that as well. Banks here tend to charge for foreign currency conversions while PayPal does not.

I usually try to use Paypal for all online purchases. For one, logging into my PayPal account is much easier and faster than punching in a bunch of numbers. I also enjoy the extra security and free foreign currency conversions.

I still use my bank card if the merchant doesn't take PayPal, but I am very cautious about it and keep a very close eye on my bank account for about a week afterwards.

Matt

Last edited:
Paypal is a great option for purchasing. Not so much for selling, which is probably why some merchants don't accept it.

A pre-paid credit card might be an option. Visa no longer does international sales, but others might.

... Visa no longer does international sales, but others might.

I use my VISA card at N3V with no troubles at all. It is tied to a small debit account at my Credit Union. I could be that if you've had a VISA rejected, it is because it is connected directly to VISA and not through a bank or Credit Union.

Bill

Visa no longer does international sales, but others might.
That's news to me, I had no problems making 2 Int'l purchases in late November, one from Germany & the other from China, both on my Visa debit card.

The only thing that not using Paypal meant, was that my bank charged me for currency exchange, but it was only an extra £ or two.

Last edited:
I use either PayPal credit or PayPal via my Amex. I never use my bank debit card even though I can use it as a Visa card.

Amex offers a nice return policy and so does PayPal so if the transaction does not go through properly, or I see some oddity on my monthly statement, I have a way of disputing the charges.

Also some credit cards allow you to create a temporary credit card number and only add as much to it as is needed to pay for the item.

Pay Pal works great for me.

I only use my C Card for the few companies I trust, all the rest I use Pay Pal, and it is so convenient and fast. I too worry about fraud and ID theft, so I limit my credit liability very judiciously.

I always use PayPal for every purchase I make. If it doesn't use or take PayPal, then I usually don't risk it and instead try searching somewhere else for the product. So far I never had an issue with the Trainz store, both Simulator Central and the new store.

Banks here tend to charge for foreign currency conversions while PayPal does not.

Paypal charges more than the current exchange rate for foreign currency purchases.
I'm looking at buying a camera from China (using USD) and they have option to pay via Paypal or credit card.
Both charge more than the going exchange rate but Paypal is higher.
I think I'll still use Paypal for my camera purchase though, because of the buyer protection policy.

Like pware, I use paypal linked to a special account which has less than $50 in it. It is for online purchases only.

And, as John Citron and John Whelan attest, Paypal give decent forex and good protection.

I basically assume my personal information has been stolen at least once somewhere the way things are now so I dispense with the paranoia. That being said I try to keep a low online financial footprint. I have one credit card, which I watch very carefully, along with the bank that issued it. They are very good at catching irregularities. They've twice found it being used illegally and quickly cleared the charges. They are also very proactive in checking up on charges that are legitimate, either of a high amount, or when traveling that I actually do make. I don't buy a lot online, I prefer to shop in physical stores and pay with cash but when I do I have no concerns using that credit card in most cases. My bank ATM card is used strictly at the Bank, never online or at a store. I do not bank online at all.

When buying online things that aren't physical goods, like digital games, especially from sources outside the US I use PayPal. I have a PayPal MasterCard debit card for cases where a merchant may not take PayPal directly. I only keep a minimal amount in my PayPal account, around $100. I do not link my bank account to PayPal. I have a PayPal cash card that I "charge up" at the store and use to add funds to the account. It's a couple of extra steps, and there is a small surcharge whenever you do it, but for me it's an equitable tradeoff.

Banks here tend to charge for foreign currency conversions while PayPal does not.

Paypal includes the fee in your total. If you compare the exchange rate they spit out for your transaction against Google's or your bank's you'll realize it's quite a bit higher.

Back