How to fix "Unable to plot route" AI issue.

DARTrider

Goofy Fictional RR Owner
Hey everyone! I've just taken up making a commuter railroad for Philskene's Rivercide RR, and upon testing the system I got to a point where I got an error that said "Unable to plot route, junction is missing lever after junction Junction 822." I went and replaced the lever, but that didn't fix it. I replaced the track and THAT didn't fix it! How do I fix this issue? There is no problem that I'm seeing! N3V needs to fix this in SP5.

There are a bunch-o-things that can cause that.

There could be, most likely a track joint that's not quite connected. The spline points are over each other and appear to be connected, but in reality, they're not.

If you put in any prebuilt crossings, the tracks may not be connected on it so, you can't cross it. Since you checked the switch, I'll leave that out but that too can be an issue.

To find the problem you can give the AI a track mark to drive to. In fact, place a marker. Have the AI drive to that one and if okay, place another until the drive complains.

You can then take over and continue driving past that point and you'll find the bad spot soon enough!

The alternative to this is to drive the stretch yourself. When you derail, you've found the broken track!

For track splines, you can fix that by clicking on the height tool. When the track joint is level, the spline point will turn yellow.

It's not junction 822 that's wrong, it's the next junction after it. it may be in the wrong place, missing or there is an extra one.

I had this same problem when I recently downloaded and ran Alikiwi's update of Dermy's East Kentucky route.

It kept giving "missing junction" errors, but I couldn't see anything wrong at all.

In the end, what fixed it was moving the switches closer to the junction spline points. (after I found that, that fixed the problem the first time, I just began moving all of the switches on the route because it kept happening elsewhere too).

Everything looks normal. The switch arrows show green and red as usual, the spline points aren't flashing red, but, for some reason, the AI system doesn't like the switches being too far away from the junction (and they are an unusually long distance away on that route), but again, everything looks normal when you're looking for it.

Edit: One thing I didn't check for is if this issue is associated with a certain type of switch asset though. I.E. That particular switch type, and the distance issues combined. That may also be a factor.

Hope that helps?

Cheers,
Piere.

Last edited:
I had this same problem when I recently downloaded and ran Alikiwi's update of Dermy's East Kentucky route.

It kept giving "missing junction" errors, but I couldn't see anything wrong at all.

In the end, what fixed it was moving the switches closer to the junction spline points. (after I found that, that fixed the problem the first time, I just began moving all of the switches on the route because it kept happening elsewhere too).

Everything looks normal. The switch arrows show green and red as usual, the spline points aren't flashing red, but, for some reason, the AI system doesn't like the switches being too far away from the junction (and they are an unusually long distance away on that route), but again, everything looks normal when you're looking for it.

Edit: One thing I didn't check for is if this issue is associated with a certain type of switch asset though. I.E. That particular switch type, and the distance issues combined. That may also be a factor.

Hope that helps?

Cheers,
Piere.

Hope so too, I’m away from the computer at the moment so this may be a bit before I get any results.

I place switches where the real railroad like them. Put them at near the tips of the moving rails in the switch. We want the switch to actually, in real life, move a heavy, high friction object. That is best done with leverage. The end of the "lever" (the moving rail) is the easiest point for the switch device to move the rail.

I place switches where the real railroad like them. Put them at near the tips of the moving rails in the switch. We want the switch to actually, in real life, move a heavy, high friction object. That is best done with leverage. The end of the "lever" (the moving rail) is the easiest point for the switch device to move the rail.

Most of time, the default position of the motors is fine. With procedural track, you can actually see the hardware between the rails where the motor is supposed to attach. If I need to place a switch motor, I will line it up with that spot.

Most of time, the default position of the motors is fine. With procedural track, you can actually see the hardware between the rails where the motor is supposed to attach. If I need to place a switch motor, I will line it up with that spot.

Well thanks for that! I have just spent the whole day inspecting all my switches :D.

I don't know if I would call it a day well spent, but I did find a few that needed realignment. And after about half a day there were quite a few where I decided near enough is good enough!

BTW: I've always known them as 'points'.

Well thanks for that! I have just spent the whole day inspecting all my switches :D.

I don't know if I would call it a day well spent, but I did find a few that needed realignment. And after about half a day there were quite a few where I decided near enough is good enough!

BTW: I've always known them as 'points'.

You're welcome, I'm glad I could help. :)

Points is used interchangeably where I live, so is sleepers instead of ties.

After I posted that, I spent about 3 hours going over my route I've been working on and did the same. I ended up with many of those good enough places as well. I'll probably see them again at another time and attempt another fix then come to the same conclusion.

Hope that helps?

Cheers,
Piere.

Thank you so much! This fixed it.

Back