How do you use seamless data?

Tokkyu40

Sorry to be back again so soon, but I'm stuck again. The layout I'm working on is about 36 squares from the GIS Data Depot, so I'm trying to use data from the Seamless server.
Unfortunately, I'm lost. I have the SRTM file downloaded into the mapdata, but MicroDEM says it's not a valid DEM and I can't figure out how to use it.
Which data set should I be using, and how should I use it?
Where do I download the data file to?
How do I open it and generate the terrain image?
Thank you again for all the help you've given so far.

:cool: Claude

Which file format did you select? I would expect MicroDEM to support most of the offered formats.

BTW, when using Seamless Server I would go for NED data. It's superior quality compared to SRTM (terrestrial vs. orbital data). Also, SRTM is limited to integral meter resolution on the vertical axis, NED offers float format.

If insisting on SRTM I would download files from the NASA ftp site, in well-known .hgt format, and 1 arc sec raster for the US. Less or no hassle with selection, preparation and extraction. Files are already there.

geophil

Thanks for the quick response.
I just selected the SRTM data. I didn't see any choice of format.
I have recieved assurances that MicroDEM treats SRTM like any other DEM, but apparently you have to know how to install it into the program. I just dumped it in the usgsdata/SRTM-1 folder in hopes it would handle it from there. Apparently it's a little more complicated.
I'll play with the NED a bit, but the last time I tried NED data I didn't have much luck.
The education continues.:confused:

Thank you very much. I printed that page for my files.
I see I have to select the data format before I download it. I didn't even know I could.
In MicroDEM, I think it goes in the NED folder, otherwise it looks pretty much the same.
Thanks for all the help, Geophil.

Success! Sort of.:eek:
The data is downloaded, MicroDEM likes it, thank you very much, and it generates a really big graphic file.
It's beautiful, but its too big to save as a .bmp, so I'll have to start over and make it in sections. But it worked, and I can do it.
Thanks for all the help. You've earned a gold star!

Back