How can I choose which train I drive?

bwfeldsee

I'm very new to Trainz so please excuse a simple question to which I'm sure I should know the answer.
I've built my route and just written my very first simple session. I made up the train on the track, put another train in a siding just for decoration and gave the activity a name. I saved it and then drove it. Wonderful!
Then I decided I wanted another train on the line which would run a few minutes ahead of mine so that I could get held up at a few signals (maybe!!).
I put this train on the track with a driver and gave it a driver command to go to a trackmark I had placed just beyond the final station. I saved again and went into Driver.
However when I loaded the session it put me in the cab of this last train which, of course, set off on its journey.
I noticed on the map that this train was numbered Train 0, my proper train was number 1 and the train in the siding was number2.
This was also the order they are in when I go to Driver Setup.
Please can somebody tell this frustrated novice what he did wrong!!!
Many thanks
Alan

You will need to make sure that the train you want to drive is at the top of the list in Driver Setup - if necessary, remove the existing drivers, and reinsert them so that the train you wish to drive is at the top.

Shane

You can also go into the Minimap, find the train you want to drive, and click on it. You will be moved to that location and (if you've clicked on the correct end of the train) be in the cab of the loco - ready to drive.

In this manner, you can move from train to train without disturbing any AI movement.

Bill

You can also go into the Minimap, find the train you want to drive, and click on it. You will be moved to that location and (if you've clicked on the correct end of the train) be in the cab of the loco - ready to drive.

In this manner, you can move from train to train without disturbing any AI movement.

Bill

Thank you Shane and Bill. The session worked fine after tweaking but before I did, I had a cab ride with the "automatic" driver. That guy sure knew how to use his throttle and brake but I hate to think what state his merchandise was in at destination! Thanks again.
Alan

You can also jump from train to train by opening the array of drivers on the left side of your screen (click on the top of the driver box in the lower left corner of the screen). Then click on the driver you want to be. No need to call up the map.

You can also jump from train to train by opening the array of drivers on the left side of your screen (click on the top of the driver box in the lower left corner of the screen). Then click on the driver you want to be. No need to call up the map.

Very true, but what happens if you just can't quite remember where the loco is you want to jump in to? Knowing the driver is "Bruce" might not be enough. I've seen routes with eight or ten drivers lined up on the pop-up and had a very hard time remembering where each one is.

Bill

Very true, but what happens if you just can't quite remember where the loco is you want to jump in to? Knowing the driver is "Bruce" might not be enough. I've seen routes with eight or ten drivers lined up on the pop-up and had a very hard time remembering where each one is.

Bill

I simply do a mouse over the drivers current instruction. That gives me a real good idea where he/she might be.

But then I run my railroads to a timetable and ususally have a real good idea where each driver is anyway.

Guess we all run our trains to suit our individual prefferences.

Back