Hmmm, watch a man die or take a picture of the man while he dies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read that. The only thing I will say is that I hope the photographers have learned a valuable lesson. My sympathies also go out to the family. I would not wish that on my worst enemies.
Kenny

Taking pictures and videos of Public Transit Systems, tracks, signals is: "ILLEGAL", and you can be detained, or jailed for doing so.

Blinding a train operator with your flash camera could have caused the train operator to be blinded, thereby causing the death of the man in the gauge.

The camera man should be jailed, and procecuted for neglegent, wrongful death, of another person. (Blinding a train operator with a flash camera), on while on "PRIVATE PROPERTY" !

=====================================

Ever since I was a child, I was scared of escalators, and subway platforms.

I always will be the last person onboard, squeeshed with my face in the armpit of a smelly person, rather than be pushed (or accedently fall to the tracks of an oncomming train).

Think about it: Even if it was your Father, Mother or child ... would anyone jump onto the tracks to save a person ?

You might think you are brave, but instinct of self preservation would kick in, preventing you from rescuing a person from the tracks.

It would take at least 2 persons to pull a man up from the tracks, or you would be pulled in also.

Last edited:
Perhaps it's not fair to place the blame on the photographer, as I understand he was quite far away from the incident. Perhaps no one else wanted to risk their lives by attempting to help either. As Cascade has pointed out; it's hard to know how a person would react in the situation unfolding.

Its not illegal to take photos of subway trains............you must have eaten too much 9/11 propaganda Its however in incredibly bad taste to take and more so sell this photo, his story hardly checks out, you dont get a perfectly composed picture like that just by accident. Most subways have a pit in between the rails at stations that you can lie down in if caught in a situation like this, however he probably didnt think of this as his first instinct was to get off the track.

If you are caught taking photos on Septa trains, you will be detained, or arrested by Transit Police: FACT (unless you get caught by a cop that plainly doesn't care about enforcing the law) !

http://www.septa.org/policy/film.html <--See "Security"

SEPTA Transit Police and other law enforcement agencies are under orders to question anyone taking photographs or sketching transit facilities.
Anyone conducting these activities in unauthorized areas of SEPTA property may be charged and detained for further investigation. (this includes station platforms and all public areas owned by SEPTA).

Under "Safety": Camera lights or flash bulbs should never be aimed in the direction of an oncoming vehicle or used within a moving vehicle.

Last edited:
Time to calm down guys, there is no need to lay blame to anyone. Leave that to those who's jobs it is to do this.

I should, however, point out that photographic groups are constantly looking into the legalities of photography in public places, as well as railway stations, etc. So far, it's not illegal if you are in a public place (and the SEPTA policy also states this quite clearly).

As to this particular issue, as above, please keep this civil.
Regards

This didnt happen on SEPTA, what does that link have to do with anything? And even if it did, the article says nothing about photography being illegal, the photographer was in a public area. Is reading really that hard for you?

Pushing Suspect arrested ! And Confess's !

http://www.washingtonpost.com/photographer-on-nyc-subway-death-i-dont-know-what-i-couldve-done-more/2012/12/05/fcf89fd4-3ef0-11e2-8a5c-473797be602c_video.html

Flash photography
is illegal on NYC subways also, as are lights, and reflectors, tripods etc ... etc... Photography (Non - Flash) is permitted, as long as it does not interfere with @ 100 safety rules spelled out in detail by the NYC Transit System laws. If a cop would tell you to stop taking photos and videos "in a public location" you would have to comply, and your camera equipment could be confiscated "In a Public Area" at any time that it is deemed unsafe, suspicious, or "Just At The Officers Discretion. Your permitted right can be taken away without notice, at an officers discretion. The word: "Permitted" does not give someone the "Absolute Right" to fire off 49 rapid fire flash pictures, blinding the subway operator, as what happened in this case. Which happened on NYC Transit Property, as the public station area is NYC Transit property.

The photographer (Abbasi) said he fired off his flash 49 times. "If you look carefully into the eyes of the conductor you see two lights," Abbasi continued. "I think those are my flash lights that are being reflected."

Photographers seem to believe that the loose terminology: "Permitted" gives them "Absolute Rights" to photograph; and this is not the case, as you can be stopped from photography in "Public Places". It seems that Private Property, and Public Areas on NYC Transit Private Property is a finely drawn line.

On many, many occasions photograpers on NYC public property have been detained, arrested, and charged with disorderly conduct, and interfering with operations, and disrupting access/egress. In most cases the photographic images are forcibly deleted by officers, who conficate the equipment.

Last edited:
It's a rather shocking incident and the concern I would have is wheter the photographer who I think is a media man (?) got paid for that? In addition, I seen a picture of the front page of that rather sensational rag over there called the New York Post. Our news item also showed previous rather scurrilous front page screaming stuff. Not a paper I would want to buy and it is a rather shoddy form of journalism at such a horrible death.

Posted this on another site.

NY subway victim's daughter: 'What's done is done'

I cannot believe how fast some have forgotten. After all that was proven regarding community spirit and coming together by Hurricane Sandy despite those who were stupid during and after it, when a guy falls on the subway tracks some people have, "whip out the camera and take pics/vid," as their first reaction. Even the Post photographer, he acts like he was morally outraged that no one else did anything but, hey, he couldn't either because he HAD to get those front page shots and do not tell me waving/flashing your camera at the train conductor works.

What is most disgusting:

He said he was shocked that people nearer to the victim didn't try to help in the 22 seconds before the train struck.
"It took me a second to figure out what was happening ... I saw the lights in the distance. My mind was to alert the train," Abbasi said.

The photographer (Abbasi) said he fired off his flash 49 times. "If you look carefully into the eyes of the conductor you see two lights," Abbasi continued. "I think those are my flash lights that are being reflected."

"The people who were standing close to him ... they could have moved and grabbed him and pulled him up. No one made an effort," he added.
In a written account Abbasi gave the Post, he said a crowd took videos and snapped photos on their cellphones after Han was pulled, limp, onto the platform. He said he shoved them back as a doctor and another man tried to resuscitate the victim, but Han died in front of them.

The 3rd rail is supposed to be far way from the platforn edge, on the other side of the tracks, but being unsure if a secondary 3rd rail that carries 650 volts, that might also be directly under the platform edge, I also would have second thoughts of touching someone climbing off the tracks.

Last edited:
There are no secondary 3rd rails on the subway system and there are no 3rd rails under platform edges.

Ok, seems that a few people can't keep this civil, and lay off blaming people... Time to close this thread unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back