Help With Understanding Rail Squeal

HillbillyHobo

I have found a nice Greyhound Americruiser that is drivable, but no matter what I do I cannot get the squeal in the turns to go away.

I am using the Invisible bnsf50 track, which I have set to silence with the 'is_silent', but still get the squeal.

The bogeys on the greyhound are front_tire & back_tire and have meshes for the wheels, so if I replace the bogey I have no wheels.

I have tried to copy a track-sound line, and add a silent track, but it still squeals.

I have tried to clone and make a copy using the meshes on another bogey carrying the files from explorer over as well, but it still squeals.

I feel like I'm in one of those class B horror movies where I can't get the damn thing to stop squealin'....lol

If someone could help me find that squeal and mute it, I'll be as happy as a dog in a butcher shop. :)

Last edited:
Well thanks for all the information on how to fix this problem. I see all these members with all their badges on their game line, yet none of these gurus can tell me where the sound is coming from, so I can locate it, and learn how to fix it.

I guess this is where I'm supposed to get angry and start making a bunch of comments about people on here, but I think the proof is in the pudding.

Hmmm.... I thought this was a forum to help others, a place to ask questions and get answers.

I just recently found out that N3V hardly does any routes that are on the software. This is done by our route creators on here. These same creators know how to write the scripts, they know all the language, but for some odd reason, none of them know where the squeal comes from on the game. :hehe:

Oh, but don't forget to buy those creators routes, you know, the ones you'll have to change a load of script on when the software changes, and let's not forget we do not have a manual to go by, we just have to wait for someone on here to answer you, which you can see after 40+ hours, I have many views, but no answer.

What kind of company releases a game that involves changing kuids and scripts with ACS text format every time a new software is released, but doesn't include a manual on how to write the ACS text script?

What person would want to invest thousands of dollars into a new PC system and these big route packages, if there's no manual to show them how to make changes in script?

Maybe the person who erased me can answer this first. It's seems okay for people in the forum to make bad comments toward me, and I don't see those comments getting erased. So maybe we need some new people governing the forum who are not so bias.

I'm sorry no one could answer my simple question, it is not my fault Trainz puts drivable vehicles on here that sound like trains instead of sounding like real vehicles. If there was a manual, I wouldn't even be on here bothering anyone with my question that seems to be stumping all the script writers.

I think you'll find the reason why there is wheel squeal is because the specific sound effect is hardcoded into the software and cannot be silenced or removed and is programmed to execute when a train travels through a curve (at least, that's how I understand it). Remember, this is a train simulator first - sure it's been adapted to run other modes of transport but as far as the software is concerned things like 'driveable' buses and ships are still just trains running on invisible tracks - hence the wheel squeal that occurs.

As for why it's even in the software in the first place, it's a fact of real railways when a train goes around a curve, the wheel flanges are making more frequent contact with the side of the rail, and as it's literal metal on metal, you get an almighty screech, and yes, it's annoying at best and downright earsplitting at worst (it's even worse in tunnels like underground railways/metros/subways). Rail operators try to minimize the squeal using oil pots to lubricate the wheels of trains that pass over them, but they have only a minor effect in reality. So thus Trainz includes this sound as an example of realism. You could try also reducing the tightness of the curve for your roadways that your buses will travel on as the curve might need to be beyond a certain tightness to trigger the wheel squeal sound effect.

Either way, it's by design.

Thank You for answering my question. I can't believe over 100 views and no one could say it's built in and you can't change it.

Here's my analogy and problem I have with how this whole thing is being run.

If your ran a BBQ stand, and you had a secret recipe that everyone in town loved so much, they all came to your stand, and you are making good money.

Now, would you want to give out your secret recipe to anyone? Because if you do, they just might start making their own BBQ and take half your business and profits.

This to me is why there is no manual for the game, because none of the route creators want anyone who may have the talent to create a good route taking their business away.

Of course it's a shame that none of these masters want to hand down their knowledge to the grasshoppers in a manual.

JCitron was telling of someone who passed away awhile back, and that he was working on something with the content creator that would do something great. I think it had something to do with it converting or something spectacular like that, but now that he has passed away, no one knows how to finish what he was working on.

It is so important to hand down the knowledge to the next generation, yet fear plays a big factor in making this happen. A manual explaining the codes with definition, how they work, with examples of how to write them out. Explaining the characters used and their definitions. That alone would relieve a lot of headaches in this game and would help old software user convert their routes over when they are ready to move up.

"It makes no sense to go exploring an unknown area without a map."

So you speak for everyone here?

Sounds to me like you are taking the poke at me 'sd24b' by saying that doesn't it?

At least I speak up when I feel something is not right, unlike you who just want to sit back and not say nothing. That's okay, I'll take the arrows, but at least I'm trying to find an answer that no one seems to want to answer on here, which is 'WHY IS THERE NO MANUAL if we have to use script to fix things?

Since you took a poke at me sd24b, why don't you take a poke at answering my question, or is that acting like jackass too?

Generally, answers go unanswered because people like me read the post but don't know the answer, so we don't reply, hoping someone that knows the answers will provide a response.

I think the "Wiki" https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/Main_Page is supposed to be the form of a "manual", as trying to print a book would probably be cost prohibitive and change with each version. The wiki is only as good as the contributions to it though, so sometimes very good and sometimes very vague. There are a lot of aspects to Trainz and it would be hard to cover them all in a formal manual.

All I found about wheel squeal I have posted below, and unfortunately there do not seem to actually be any page numbers, so I don't know how to find page 202. The item below was the only hit returned for a search for "wheel squeal", or even just "squeal"

"disable-extra-track-sounds 1 Disables the "click-clack" tracksounds. Could be used for silent shipping, planes or maglev type vehicles. Values are 0, 1 for the tag. Note: There may be some residual tracksound for example wheel squeal. See Page 202 for an example."

EDIT: Here is a forum thread that indicates the wheel squeal may be a configuration of the specific track or a wheelsound asset: https://forums.auran.com/trainz/archive/index.php/t-54012.html
also this: https://forums.auran.com/trainz/archive/index.php/t-131712.html
You might also find this one interesting, it refers to a track mark: https://forums.auran.com/trainz/archive/index.php/t-21576.html

Last edited:
Thank You for answering my question. I can't believe over 100 views and no one could say it's built in and you can't change it.

Saying things like this makes it less likely for people to help you in the future, for what it's worth.

Sure, it is, as you say, a "forum to help others". But we're all people too. None of us work for N3V or owe any other user on the forums anything. People responding to threads do it because they want to help​ - and treating others rudely is a great way to make people not want to help you.

Thank You Forester1....I will definitely be clicking on those tonight.

I also want to thank you for taking the time to look them up.

The wiki....hmmm....I think we need to shake that etch-a-sketch and start over. That thing is a mess.

I know some people on here, and even some of the creators may think I'm a jerk for ranting about this manual, but my intentions are only for the good of the group.

THE NORM
New game + old routes + changing dependencies + no clue how to write ACS text format = a limited number of players staying on and many quitting due to frustration. (This is mainly because not many people are fluent in writing scripts, because they have never been shown how to write them.)

THE NEW
New game + old routes + changing dependencies + Manual on how to write ACS text = Many happy players through the new software releases, less people stressed and leaving, which means if we all know how to fix things, we will all want to be buying up those big routes, which means many creators are happy.

This is the only point I have been trying to make. The customer must be happy, the game should be user friendly, with easy to understand instructions. When all these cylinders are firing you have one hell of a hotrod. If I knew all the ACS language, and how to write it, I would probably invest in a new computer, get the latest good working software, and buy some routes, but when I'm clueless to how some of it works, and then get insulted when I ask questions like why the customer is fixing these problems, it does not make me want to invest my money in it.

"The more people in your club, the more drinks you're going to sell."

I was only trying to help, but it appears that this is not how everyone else is looking at it, so I'll stop posting and go back to just asking a couple of people through PM.

Take Care

Saying things like this makes it less likely for people to help you in the future, for what it's worth.

Sure, it is, as you say, a "forum to help others". But we're all people too. None of us work for N3V or owe any other user on the forums anything. People responding to threads do it because they want to help​ - and treating others rudely is a great way to make people not want to help you.

First off my comment wasn't rude. Secondly if your only purpose was to get on my thread to post your personal opinion of the emotions you seem to be putting on my text, instead of posting an answer says a lot about you.

An MC says "I can't believe out of 100 contestants that no one knew the answer to the question"
Does this make the MC rude, and everyone dumbasses? No it doesn't, it was simply an observation.

So take your Jerry Springer philosophy and intentions somewhere else boy.

So you speak for everyone here?

Sounds to me like you are taking the poke at me 'sd24b' by saying that doesn't it?

At least I speak up when I feel something is not right, unlike you who just want to sit back and not say nothing. That's okay, I'll take the arrows, but at least I'm trying to find an answer that no one seems to want to answer on here, which is 'WHY IS THERE NO MANUAL if we have to use script to fix things?

Since you took a poke at me sd24b, why don't you take a poke at answering my question, or is that acting like jackass too?

I do not speak for everyone, I apologize for speaking for the community as a whole. I should of explained my response in greater depth.
In the last inquiry you placed on these forms you responded in a way that was off putting to those that would be able to provide answers to your inquiry. As I no longer play a 12+ year old game, I am unable to answer your inquiry quickly, if you were a less of a blighter of the community, then a member (myself included) may take the time to look at the outdated software to answer the topic of your inquiry. Your continued combative behavior, leads to this being the end of any response to any of your future inquiries. No "poke(?)" taken at you only a factual answer was given.

Last edited:
An MC says "I can't believe out of 100 contestants that no one knew the answer to the question"
Does this make the MC rude, and everyone dumbasses? No it doesn't, it was simply an observation.

To me, yeah, it sorta does actually! Guess it's just a difference in how we interpret the world around us.

The reason I didn't post an answer is because I don't know. I assume there are those on this forum that do. My "personal opinion" was simply me trying to be helpful because you seemed frustrated by the fact that you weren't getting responses, so I thought I might give you some advice on why you aren't. Clearly that was a mistake.

(And thanks so much for that last line; I'm actually a woman.)

Back