Help with texturing and modeling

Hey ya'll, I am working on a project that involves the 6-8-6 S2 Turbine. But before I can actually start working on it, I need to know a few things. 1) I would like to create my own custom smoke script (so how would I go about doing that?) and 2) I would also like to know how I can texture the model so it looks good... almost like lilb's Southern Pacific Daylight #4449(I would post a picture but I'm having a little trouble getting it to work)(I noticed that when I opened up the .tga files, the opacity was turned down really low, so I don't know if that's how you do it or not). So if anyone can answer these questions or give me any sort of tips that would be really great! Thanks

Over the last 13 years I have seen a lot of new people try to start with a steam loco first and 95% never get done. It is a lot of work, you need to know a lot, and some just can not "get" 3D modeling. Start by making a box and a texture, UV the texture to the box, export to an .im, make a config.txt, and get it into Trainz with no errors or warnings. The S2 would take a year to make.

Back