Great Smoky Mountain Railroad: Opinions?

generalman

Renowned L&N Fanatic
Hello everyone.

The family and I have been debating on where we should vacation this upcoming summer. We were roaming across the internet and came across a place called the "Great Smoky Mountains Railroad". They have multiple trips that are performed daily during the summertime, and we were considering on this being our summer vacation trip. I wanted to ask if anyone here has ever visited this place before, and if they have could please tell about their experience.

Ex: Was it a nice ride? Good scenery? Friendly people/service? If anyone can shine some light on this, please do.

Also, if there are any other places that are at somewhat of an understandable driving distance (or in a state that borders Ky) that anyone would recommend, please speak up!

Thanks!

I've got a few:
1. Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum, specifically their Missionary Ridge Local. It's pulled by diesels on weekdays, and steam on weekends
2. Three Rivers Rambler, located in downtown Knoxville, Tennessee, home of Southern 2-8-0 #154
3. Big South Fork Scenic Railway, in Stearns, Kentucky. Originally the Kentucky and Tennessee Railroad, who once owned Southern 4501
4. Tennessee Central Railway Museum in Nashville, Tennessee
And one that puts on one heck of a show:
5. Dollywood Theme Park's Dollywood Express in nearby Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. Powered by one of two ex-White Pass and Yukon 2-8-2s up grades up to 5%, and climbing over 200 feet up into the Great Smoky Mountains that surround the park, it's an experience that you won't find anywhere else in the South. The train hits a 3% grade leaving the station, so it puts on one heck of a show climbing that grade. Tickets for Dollywood may not look cheap, but they are definitely cheaper than their main rival here in the South: Disney.
And here's a video to show what I mean by one heck of a show:

emeraldnight123 said:
That was very interesting. Thank you!

3. Big South Fork Scenic Railway, in Stearns, Kentucky. Originally the Kentucky and Tennessee Railroad, who once owned Southern 4501
We've been there lots of times! It's about a 2 hour drive for us to get there, but it's very well worth the trip! Breathtaking views and an all-around outstanding ride.

Last edited:
Back