Great British Railway Journeys Series 3 on T.V.

Thanks, it's always been worth watching and probably the best thing Michael Portillo has ever done!

Rob

Pity as it is a good series and worth a repeat.

There was another programme series recently where a woman (forget her name) walked old closed lines meeting people along the way who chatted about the railway days, etc. It usually included bits of old film and photographs.

~snip~ There was another programme series recently where a woman (forget her name) walked old closed lines meeting people along the way who chatted about the railway days, etc. It usually included bits of old film and photographs.

It could have been Julia Bradbury who did the railway walks. That was a good series too!

Here's a link, which includes a further link at the bottom of the page to the appropriate series on BBC iplayer.

http://www.juliabradbury.com/railways.html

The series continues to fascinate and inform.

I did enjoy the brick built Brunel bridge story and the lack of faith regarding the huge brick built span. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod..._Railway_Journeys_Series_3_Windsor_to_Didcot/

Did anyone else spot last night’s passenger(at 22:57) sat behind Michael Portillo on the run to Didcot with both feet on the seat?

That really did irritate me! She looked old enough to know better. I’d love to have seen MP remonstrating with her, although he’s probably too much of a gentleman.

Was she perhaps one of the BBC crew?

6d6072f9.jpg

The woman sitting opposite her is certainly giving her the stare of death!

The railway I volunteer at is visited by Portillo in this series. Think it's on the 1st of February or there abouts. I wasn't around the day they did the filming.

I spotted that too and thought it very remiss of the BBC to allow that to appear on TV.

The series so far has been excellent, I believe he's up around Corfe Castle later in the week.

Oh but that ghastly pink jacket!

Rob.

Last edited:
Series still great viewing

Tuesday night – Hartlebury to great Malvern.

We were spared the pink jacket but was the yellow/green an improvement?

But ...

... more feet on seats. Grrr!

Cheers
Casper
:(

f6e10cf1.jpg

Hi Everybody.
The series continues to fascinate and inform.

Did anyone else spot last night’s passenger(at 22:57) sat behind Michael Portillo on the run to Didcot with both feet on the seat?

That really did irritate me! She looked old enough to know better. I’d love to have seen MP remonstrating with her, although he’s probably too much of a gentleman.

I am afraid the site of passengers putting their feet up on seats is all too common these days on, railways. A couple of weeks ago travelling up from Southampton I was forced to ask someone to remove their feet from a seat so I could sit down. It would seem to be the ever declining standards of consideration and what we used to call manners that has brought this about.

I did have a chance to get my own back as you might say a few days later when we advertised for an "office assistant" in the local press and job centre. One applicant arrived in clean but very casual dress, slumped into the chair with what must have been two days of growth on his face. That really put me off as the interviewer.

I think my talk with him must have lasted all of 3 minutes before my words of " we will contact you if we feel you can be of use to us" goodbye. On telling the wife about him a few minutes later she informed me that it is today what is known as " designer stubble" and considered smart by many.

Well, call me old-fashioned but it will never be considered smart by me and certainly on this occasion did not get him very far (not very smart)

Bill

Bill, maybe I'm just an auld fart before my time but if I was interviewing someone who didn't turn up in a suit and polished shoes and who had a flacid handshake, they would be getting short shrift.

As for feet, the signs in the early 00's on Dublin's DART read "Seats are not for feet" although it didn't seem to work very well. Not sure if they still have those signs though.

Somehow or other, I keep missing Great British Railway Journeys though I did catch the end of a documentary The End of Steam on BBC4 last night which was rather interesting and made me ask the question, just why do people get dewy eyed over steam? Free popcorn. Haha.

I swear Portello put his feet on the seat at one point, or it was resting on something else, because he managed to put his arm on his knee..

Dear pfx

Be careful with the "flacid handshake" comment as some "ism" could be made against yourself. :p :hehe:

Mind you, looking at some people nowadays, do you really want to shake their hand? :eek:

Regards.
CaptEngland

Recently I pulled up two youngsters who were primary school age on a local train here who were standing on the seat and trying to swing on the luggage rack. It was a quiet coach with only a handful of tut-tutting people and the ticket bloke was further up the train. Being nice didn't work so I resorted to gritty Glasgow and that worked. Someone asked me what I said to the miscreants and I just smiled and said "Don't ask." (!).

Back