G Style Tri-light Signals

pitmilly

Have read various threads on US signalling plus a number of other papers and I think I've got my head round some of the basics. However, there are a few questions that crop up when I attempt to link this limited knowledge to G Style Tri-light signal units. Am hoping that someone can clarify a few issues for me.

A commonly quoted maxim by Forum members seems to be:

use style 08 before three junctions
- am assuming this means one three-way turnout, NOT a two turnout three route ladder junction?

use style 06 before two junctions
- am assuming this means a single turnout leading to two routes? What about one main line and a stub siding?
(O6L - when the diverging or secondary route is off to the left in the line of travel?)
(06R - when the diverging or secondary route is off to the right?)

use style 05 on Open Lines
- am assuming this means use as an intermediate signal giving advisory information about the next section of line

use style 04 before merging junctions
- this seems clear.

Assuming my interpretations are correct, can some kindly soul explain the differences between the following:-

Style 06RD
- (kuid:321936:101867); Style 06RDL - (K - 868); Style 06LD - (K - 869;
Style 06LDL - (K - 870); Style 06Distant - (K - 190); Style 06DistantL - (K - 191).

Some suggestions where each type is used would be very helpful.

Thank you

Style 06RD - (kuid:321936:101867); Style 06RDL - (K - 868); Style 06LD - (K - 869;
Style 06LDL - (K - 870); Style 06Distant - (K - 190); Style 06DistantL - (K - 191).

Thank you

The Style 06 RD is Right hand drive just as the name indicates and the opposite of the LD.

RDL means that the RD-signal will be on the left side of the track instead on the normal right side.
LD is a left hand drive, and LDL is similar as above, except it's the left hand drive signal on the left side of the tracks.

The distant signals are the two-headed home/distant signals, which work similar to the Type 05s, meaning that they forewarn what the driver is coming up to at the next signal down the tracks. A Type 06 Distant signal can be used prior, some distance away, from a Type 06 guarding a single to double-track passing siding, aka a passing loop as you call it. The hint that these are permissive signals, meaning the driver can pass them is they have a small black name-board below them. The name-board will have a number or name under the signal heads. The L on these signals again indicate that the signal will be on the left side of the track instead of the normal right for US or North American operations in general.

Unfortunately, I can't remember if the Tri-light signals have these, but the other Searchlight signals do, and so do the various SafTran and other signals.

John,

Thank you for taking time to explain the differences. I was half way there but you have filled in the gaps and saved me from guessing - getting it wrong and having to go back and try something else. Your notes have been printed off and are now part of my instruction manual. Many thanks.

regards,

John Webster
(pitmilly)

Back