Fixing faulty boxcar (tried reskinning using tutorial)

chadcham

I am trying to fix two boxcars that are giving faulty errors and I attempted to reskin using the custom 40 ft box car tutorial that TrainZ provides (https://contentcreation.trainzsimulator.com/reskin-the-custom-40-boxcar/) , however the file structures they use seem outdated and the TGA files they reference are now replaced with .texture files with a much different scheme it seems.

Here are the errors that are generated:

! <kuid:213782:1612> : VE48: This asset uses an obsolete trainz-build number. Trainz-build numbers below 3.5 are no longer supported.
- <kuid:213782:1612> : VE34: Alias mesh '40ft_boxcar_body/40ft_boxcar_body.pm' not found in latest version (<kuid:-25:1511>) of dependency <kuid:-10:196>.
- <kuid:213782:1612> : VE76: Unable to load mesh file: '40ft_boxcar_body/40ft_boxcar_body.pm'
- <kuid:213782:1612> : VE34: Alias mesh '40ft_boxcar_shadow/40ft_boxcar_shadow.pm' not found in latest version (<kuid:-25:1511>) of dependency <kuid:-10:196>.
- <kuid:213782:1612> : VE76: Unable to load mesh file: '40ft_boxcar_shadow/40ft_boxcar_shadow.pm'
! <kuid:213782:1612> : VE62: Required container 'thumbnails' is missing.

I have reviewed so many different methods to 'reskin' or fix errors similar to these, however each option has a different set of dependencies, assumptions, file types, etc. that makes it challenging to apply to what we are running into. Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thank you

I am trying to fix two boxcars that are giving faulty errors and I attempted to reskin using the custom 40 ft box car tutorial that TrainZ provides (https://contentcreation.trainzsimulator.com/reskin-the-custom-40-boxcar/) , however the file structures they use seem outdated and the TGA files they reference are now replaced with .texture files with a much different scheme it seems.

Here are the errors that are generated:

! <kuid:213782:1612> : VE48: This asset uses an obsolete trainz-build number. Trainz-build numbers below 3.5 are no longer supported.
- <kuid:213782:1612> : VE34: Alias mesh '40ft_boxcar_body/40ft_boxcar_body.pm' not found in latest version (<kuid:-25:1511>) of dependency <kuid:-10:196>.
- <kuid:213782:1612> : VE76: Unable to load mesh file: '40ft_boxcar_body/40ft_boxcar_body.pm'
- <kuid:213782:1612> : VE34: Alias mesh '40ft_boxcar_shadow/40ft_boxcar_shadow.pm' not found in latest version (<kuid:-25:1511>) of dependency <kuid:-10:196>.
- <kuid:213782:1612> : VE76: Unable to load mesh file: '40ft_boxcar_shadow/40ft_boxcar_shadow.pm'
! <kuid:213782:1612> : VE62: Required container 'thumbnails' is missing.

I have reviewed so many different methods to 'reskin' or fix errors similar to these, however each option has a different set of dependencies, assumptions, file types, etc. that makes it challenging to apply to what we are running into. Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thank you
Find another box car to reskin. Look for TS12 or later. If you're desperate bug me via PM and I maybe able to come up with something. It depends how detailed you want it.

Cheerio John

Check your game's compatibility settings. I can't really say how TRS19's error reporting works but in TANE stuff with TB numbers bellow 3.5 only show as warnings. I only know from rumours that there is a setting that should suppress errors/warnings associated with older content.

The big problem is the .pm format meshes these are very old which is why I suggest finding something else to start with.

Cheerio John

If you opened up built-in assets for editing, they will produce .texture files. The .texture format is a proprietary file that contains both the actual image plus the parameters on how the image is to be used. The proprietary format is used by the underlying game engine for running Trainz to display the textures properly.

A trainzer, created some utilities for repairing and updating Trainz assets. Among these utilities, which we recommend you download them all, is Images2TGA. This will convert the .texture to the image file plus its definition file.

You can download Images2TGA plus the rest of the utilities from here:

You can also convert the pm files to im files using PM2IM. This will require a bit more work afterwards as you need to create or update the mesh-table to recognize the im files. There's information on how to do this on the Wiki.

If you opened up built-in assets for editing, they will produce .texture files. The .texture format is a proprietary file that contains both the actual image plus the parameters on how the image is to be used. The proprietary format is used by the underlying game engine for running Trainz to display the textures properly.

A trainzer, created some utilities for repairing and updating Trainz assets. Among these utilities, which we recommend you download them all, is Images2TGA. This will convert the .texture to the image file plus its definition file.

You can download Images2TGA plus the rest of the utilities from here:

You can also convert the pm files to im files using PM2IM. This will require a bit more work afterwards as you need to create or update the mesh-table to recognize the im files. There's information on how to do this on the Wiki.
True but you lose LOD converting .pm to .im. There should be a generic 40 foot box car floating around that could be reskinned without delving into aliasing meshes etc. I think the amount of effort isn't really worthwhile.

For your own use I'd start at kuid2:58422:1076:1 and download this version. It's a nice model by whitepass. It doesn't have a license that permits uploading to the DLS and doesn't get into PBR so it's somewhere to start from. Once you get the feel for it then look for something with a license that permits reskins.

Cheerio John

True but you lose LOD converting .pm to .im. There should be a generic 40 foot box car floating around that could be reskinned without delving into aliasing meshes etc. I think the amount of effort isn't really worthwhile.

For your own use I'd start at kuid2:58422:1076:1 and download this version. It's a nice model by whitepass. It doesn't have a license that permits uploading to the DLS and doesn't get into PBR so it's somewhere to start from. Once you get the feel for it then look for something with a license that permits reskins.

Cheerio John
All my content can be reskinned and uploaded to the DLS.

What kuid will you recommend for FBR 40ft boxcar ?

Back