FBX Files - what are they? Answer

boleyd

If you are not working with graphics then you might wonder what FBX file are as you scan through messages. To me it was just another term used by a subset of the community. So I asked Co-Pilot. I received the following info below. So, if you see something on the forum that you do not recognize you might want to try Co-Pilot/

"An FBX file is a 3D model saved in the Autodesk Filmbox format. It’s widely used across various digital modeling and content creation programs, including the Autodesk suite of applications. Game developers and animators often work with FBX files1. If you want to quickly view an FBX model, you can use Autodesk FBX Review (available for Windows, Mac, and iOS) or Autodesk Viewer (web-based). To convert FBX files to other 3D formats, tools like Blender or Autodesk FBX Converter can be helpful"

The explanation is correct although you could pluck the same description from most anywhere including what I wrote about it back in TANE days before Co Pilot was conceived.

Describing it as a "subset" of the community is a bit far fetched though and is typical of someone living with a TRS2012 mindset.

Back