Faulty images.

What does Gimp say when you try to open it? Could be a corrupted file

It says this
Gimp said:
Opening 'C:\Program Files\N3V Games\TS12\UserData\editing\uf_u2_01a\u2acar_body\u21-01.jpg' failed: JPEG image plug-In could not open image

it could be corrupted but one does not know :eek:

Regards

Johan

There's a possibility that the file is not a jpg, but maybe a Tga or BMP instead. Try renaming the file to one of these and see if Gimp opens up the file.

If it does, you need to edit the u21-01.texture.txt file to point to the correct file name.

John

It does sound corrupted to me, or it's had some kind of compression used on it that GIMP doesn't seem to support.

Shane

There's a possibility that the file is not a jpg, but maybe a Tga or BMP instead. Try renaming the file to one of these and see if Gimp opens up the file.

Tried and sadly this did not work.

It does sound corrupted to me, or it's had some kind of compression used on it that GIMP doesn't seem to support.

I think you could be right about it being corrupted :( .

Is there any possible way of fixing it?

Regards

Johan

If you right-click on the image, then click properties, it will tell you the file type i.e. .JPG. Like Jcitron said, it may not be a jpeg.

To fix a corrupted file, it depends. Sometimes you can and sometimes you cant. If you go online and search how to fix a corrupted file there are sonmetimes softwares you can download. Only a thought, could be wrong.

If you right-click on the image, then click properties, it will tell you the file type i.e. .JPG. Like Jcitron said, it may not be a jpeg.

To fix a corrupted file, it depends. Sometimes you can and sometimes you cant. If you go online and search how to fix a corrupted file there are sonmetimes softwares you can download. Only a thought, could be wrong.

It comes up as a jpeg and it says it was created in photoshop. Being a student I do not have the kind of money to have photoshop so I will look for a fixing program.

Thanks to all who have replied/helped.

EDIT: According to Stellar Phoenix JPEG repairer there is a missing marker. I am going to try Paintshop Pro to see if it can fix it.

Regards

Johan

Last edited:
Might be worth trying Irfanview. If this can open it, save it under a different format (unless it's for a screenshot) - TGA is a good idea, just make sure it does not apply compression to it.

Shane

image2uo.jpg

Offending part found and image opened.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Any advice on what's gone wrong?

Regards

Johan

I don't see anything inherently wrong with the image, if that's what you're asking. My first guess would be that the file was saved with a ~.jpg extension, but was in fact in another format. When you tried to open it in GIMP, it attempted to open the file using the ~.jpg plug in, but since it was not a ~.jpg file, the file wouldn't open. If my hunch is correct, if you save the image back into the original file name (<C:\Program Files\N3V Games\TS12\UserData\editing\uf_u2_01a\u2acar_body\ u21-01.jpg>) as a ~.jpg file, that the asset would probably open correctly.

But I've been wrong before.

ns

The only 2 things i can think of is

1. Its was a JPEG file specially modified for Paintshop pro
  2. The file had some kind of compression, which the author set on Paintshop, like for .tga's with Gimp, wjich Gimp and other software's could not read.
If i can suggest something, it would be to save the file as a .tga or a BMP file, under the same name, delete the strange .JPG from the loco's folder and paste the new image into there (basicly, swapping them around), as if you have the 30-day trial of the software, after you may want to open it again after the 30 days. Also, trainz probably still wont be able to read it, so that same error will still appear.

Cheers
Privite

The dimensions say 1024x1024 pixels, but it looks like the bottom third of the image hasn't formed (it's just plain grey). So even if you saved that in an uncorrupted state, the model is going to look terrible. Re-download/re-install the asset and see if it was just a corrupted download. If not, I'd say you're only option is to e-mail the author. Report the problem hoping it will be fixed by the creator and re-issued. And tell him to start publishing his stuff on the DLS where there is at least some quality control.

I don't see anything inherently wrong with the image,

...<snippage>...

But I've been wrong before.

And it looks like I've been wrong again. Upon re-examination, I concur with D.R.'s opinion that the file is corrupt. If you look closely screenshot, at the interface between the loaded image, and the default surface, a small segment of the next line is visible at the far left.

ns

The image does show up fine in the small preview window though.

I think i will contact alterr as i know his email so can question him about this asset.

Many thanks to all who have helped/replied

Regards
johan

Back