FAO anyone considering the 'Build Your Own Model Railway' magazine (UK)

alexl102

Learning... slowly!
Hi guys,

If you're based in the UK, you may recently have seen advertised a new magazine series called 'Build Your Own Model Railway', offering the chance to build an OO gauge train set based on a Midlands village from the 50s.

I realise this forum is for Trainz Simulator users, but just in case anyone is thinking of expanding their horizons into model railways and was planning to use this series as a way to do so, here is some info for you to consider first.

The first issue is £3.99, thereafter they are £8.99. The series comes in 120 parts over 2 1/2 years, by the end of which you will have spent over £1000, and that's before you've purchased the locomotive and electrics. The locomotive is available via a 'reader offer' but I would guess would cost in the region of £30-60 (unlike the rest of the kits it's from an actual model railways manufacturer). The build quality of the track supplied is questionable and the carriage which comes with the first issue is a cheap recreation but in fairness would look okay on some layouts. The publishers will require you to sign up directly to them via direct debit, and the issues will probably stop appearing in shops after issue 3 or 4. Past evidence with similar things suggests that the series may never even be completed.

In short: It is advised that you avoid this series! (Unless you want cheap maroon mk1 coaches- buy 5 copies of issue 1 and you'll have a rake for less than the price of one Mk1 from a major manufacturer!)

Why have I posted this mini lecture?

Basically, I'm trying to save you a lot of money and stress! If you want to branch out into model railways, buy from a recognised major manufacturer and you'll probably be able to get a set that's equally good if not better for around half the money, and you have the bonus of things like a decent warranty/guarantee, customer support, community support from online forums etc etc.

I apologise for the negative approach of this post but felt it may be of use to someone.

Regards,

Alex

Please note: I do not work for any major model railway manufacturer, nor have I been paid to advertise or criticise! Admins, I've tried not to break any rules with this post- I apologise if it does so.

Hi guys,

In short: It is advised that you avoid this series! (Unless you want cheap maroon mk1 coaches- buy 5 copies of issue 1 and you'll have a rake for less than the price of one Mk1 from a major manufacturer!)

Funnily enough that's exactly what I did, checked out the major stores on Friday and bought 5 of the first issue= 5 mk1s for the price of 1 :)

I reckon the quality of the coaches was Ok, the flush glazing was a nice touch and the underframes are nicely detailed. They are finished unpainted plastic with yellow printed lining, but the appearance is acceptable despite this. That means they will last a bit longer when my kids get a hold of them. The track will do for the end of a disused siding or a fiddle yard somewhere....

There have been many series like this based on subscriptions, the trick is to buy the parts you need not get the whole series as you mention.

Good call! I've got one, but think I might grab another couple when I'm in town this week. I want to practise weathering on them- can't lose at that price.

I think you posted a nice reminder / warning for those people who else might have jumped in without doing the math.

I've just seen this in my local newsagent and I was looking for a little bit of track and the maroon coach didn't look too bad, so I took one. Last year, he stocked Great British Locomotives magazine and, for £2.99(!) I got a OO version of A4 class Mallard and for £5.99 I got Duchess pacific Coronation. See: http://www.greatbritishlocomotive.co.uk/ Then, sadly, it disappeared from the shelves after only two copies!

Certainly, you don't want to subscribe to these things, but you can get some extraordinary bargains by buying individual copies.

Paul

Looks like I missed that one, the locos appear to be amazing value for the prices quoted.

I did a bit of checking on the net and it seems that the circulation for this mag was extremely limited to specific parts of the country, and has now been unfortunately suspended. Some are appearing for sale on ebay for much higher prices!!

I've just seen this in my local newsagent and I was looking for a little bit of track and the maroon coach didn't look too bad, so I took one. Last year, he stocked Great British Locomotives magazine and, for £2.99(!) I got a OO version of A4 class Mallard and for £5.99 I got Duchess pacific Coronation. See: http://www.greatbritishlocomotive.co.uk/ Then, sadly, it disappeared from the shelves after only two copies!

Certainly, you don't want to subscribe to these things, but you can get some extraordinary bargains by buying individual copies.

Paul

I managed to pick up a few for my son too. We've now painted the roofs and I've got some transfers on order, so they will look the part. Overall I'm pretty pleased with them, though I don't think we will be buying it every week/month. The magazine was pretty weak I thought.

For anyone interested I've seen on the net that Great British Locomotives is now on general release as of yesterday, issue 1 is Mallard and was available at Asdas. Hopefully I'm not too late today to find a copy.

None on display at Asda but a staff member found them in the store so success, I've now got 2. I have to say the quality is excellent. Next one on sale in 2 weeks is the LMS Princess Coronation, subsequent issues will contain:

LNER A3
SR V schools
GWR City
BR 9F
Locomotion
Deltic class 55
LMS 5MT
GWR 28xx
SR West Country
Rocket
Western class 52
GWR Castle
BR 4MT
SR N
LMS Princess
LNER J39

Sounds like an excellent range.

They don't. On the Subscription page one of the images has small print that says 'This offer is only available in the UK and Republic of Ireland'.

I was born in the wrong country. :(

Kieran.

The alternative would be to find someone here in the UK who would be willing to purchase on your behalf and send to you.

Forgive me for being pessimistic but I don't believe for one minute that this will get beyond issue 3. This one (or something similar) pops up every so often, and the A4, Princess Coronation and A3 are always the first 3 weeks after which it disappears.

Saying that though, I hope I'm wrong. I'd love to see the 9F & West Country models.

Yes, wait and see. However last year was confirmed as only a small trial circulation to gauge the market, this now is the full scale scale nationwide release. The same company are behind some other magazines such as aircraft which are continuing.

Time will tell.....

Saw the Mallard model in WHSmiths today. I decided not to buy one. They are static models. The Mallard colour looked to be BR Blue rather than LNER Blue. No overly impressed but the build quality and finish looked ok.

I noticed it had returned to my local newsagent. Well, let's see if it gets beyond issue 2 this time!

Paul

Back