Evolution of the Logging industry

StorkNest

Stop that, its just silly
I've seen the 2 seasons of Ax Men on History Channel.
Season one was interesting, no more lumberjacks, it is all uphill or in rare cases downhill logging.
Season two brought more of that plus greenhorns (new hires), a small father-son aqua logging outfit (if not for that I would never have found aqua logging has been around for some time) where the dad cursed so much about every third word was bleeped and the wild ride of heli-logging with the only modern operation left, Conner Aviation in western Montana.
Now Discovery channel reran a documentary tonight (Monday) followed by the premiere episode of a new series on swamp logging. Everyone rides a vehicle of some sort currently working a North Carolina swampland, either tread backhoe types that either cut the trees or gather them and 4, 6 or 8 wheeled vehicles where each tire is 6 feet wide (just a couple inches wider than I am tall!) that collect cut trees and take them to the loading point.

1 - How long has heli-logging been around?
2 - How about swamp logging?
3 - Anyone ever try to model aqua logging?

Well heli-logging must have started after 1971, the end of the Vietnam war and a lot of surplus 'copters that had the lifting power needed.

Back