End of beta?

ColPrice2002

Following the latest TS22 announcement, I upgraded both my TS22 beta and TS22 “live” installs.
Both are now reporting the same version number - can I conclude that the beta testing has finished?

My beta version is currently on a small SSD, my live version on a traditional hard disc. I’d like to run the live program on the SSD, so can I simply delete the beta database, move the live data folder (updating the location) and run?

removing the other install is another problem!

regards to all,
Colin

I too suspect that we are at the end of new features being added to TRS22 with perhaps a few bug fixes still to be released. Trainz Plus will more likely start moving towards adding features that will appear in TRS25.

can I conclude that the beta testing has finished?
The current round of beta testing has now finished but that does not mean that there will be no more betas for future SPs for TRS22

The latest update puts TRS22 currently on SP3, TRS19 went to SP5 before further development ceased.

Thanks for the replies - in the past (long ago!) the beta programs were disabled so that there would be no confusion...
It would have been really helpful if the original post was explicit.

Thanks again,

Colin

It would have been really helpful if the original post was explicit.
An adage that I have found to be appropriate more times than not is "Never let the programmers write the user documentation". During my long career I made a healthy sum writing technical documentation in a form that us "mere mortals" can understand. :)

Following the latest TS22 announcement, I upgraded both my TS22 beta and TS22 “live” installs.
Both are now reporting the same version number - can I conclude that the beta testing has finished?

My beta version is currently on a small SSD, my live version on a traditional hard disc. I’d like to run the live program on the SSD, so can I simply delete the beta database, move the live data folder (updating the location) and run?

removing the other install is another problem!

regards to all,
Colin
I hope not. The graphic engine needs a lot of refinement, there’s a lot of stuttering in Mac OS / Metal and the shaders have a lot of impact on frame rate. This guys did an EXCELLENT job with the porting to Apple Silicon and Metal but the recent releases are slow and stuttering.

Last edited:
The 'beta' will never end... it just changes names... TRS19 to TRS 22 to TrainzPlus.. and on and on..
While this is true, I think the OP is referring to TRS22 retail version. Which I personally believe is done receiving any new features.

Hi,
for clarity, I have a Trainz plus subscription. This what I term as “live” - it’s the version I downloaded as Trainz plus.
There was also a beta version which I had as a separate install (on a separate disc).
both of these updated to the same version number - which is the current Trainz plus.
unless N3V are planning another round of beta testing - no indication at this time - I’m deleting one of the installation. It just seems an odd way of treating the beta testers - just to change the beta to actual without any communication - not even a “thank you”

Colin

I’m deleting one of the installation
I keep both versions, the retail and the "former" beta, on my system. The "beta" stays on the beta update stream so when/if a new beta is released it will automatically get it.

How do I tell them apart since they now both have the same build number? I used a graphics program (GIMP) to edit the Launcher window graphic of the version on the beta update stream to add the text "Beta Stream" in large white letters on its bottom right. You can find this image at:-

"C:\Program Files\N3V Games\Trainz Railroad Simulator 2022\resources\images\background_trainzplus.png" - or wherever you have installed the Trainz software.

I made a backup copy of the original file "background_trainzplus.png" first (I named it "original_background_trainzplus.png").

While this is true, I think the OP is referring to TRS22 retail version. Which I personally believe is done receiving any new features.
I get that... My reply was tongue in cheeck... But it is true that if you want betas all you need do is join Plus and you likely will have plenty over the coming years. Which brings up this point: TrainzPlus is now considered a separate "entity." We are to call it TrainzPlus. It is not '22 Plus. So is TrainzPlus a perpetual product? When does it end? Does it ever get a new name? (All rhetorical and somewhat tongue in cheek.)

I get that... My reply was tongue in cheeck... But it is true that if you want betas all you need do is join Plus and you likely will have plenty over the coming years. Which brings up this point: TrainzPlus is now considered a separate "entity." We are to call it TrainzPlus. It is not '22 Plus. So is TrainzPlus a perpetual product? When does it end? Does it ever get a new name? (All rhetorical and somewhat tongue in cheek.)
Well, yes that was the concept that Tony laid out when Trainz Plus was first announced. Trainz Plus would go on forever, ever changing until the end of time. Ever so often a retail version would be spun off to sell to the those unwilling to purchase software on a subscription. Kind of like Windows 10 was the last version of Windows until it wasn't.

Last edited:
I keep both versions, the retail and the "former" beta, on my system. The "beta" stays on the beta update stream so when/if a new beta is released it will automatically get it.

How do I tell them apart since they now both have the same build number? I used a graphics program (GIMP) to edit the Launcher window graphic of the version on the beta update stream to add the text "Beta Stream" in large white letters on its bottom right. You can find this image at:-

"C:\Program Files\N3V Games\Trainz Railroad Simulator 2022\resources\images\background_trainzplus.png" - or wherever you have installed the Trainz software.

I made a backup copy of the original file "background_trainzplus.png" first (I named it "original_background_trainzplus.png").
I do exactly the same thing. I also changed the icon as well to one of the stock Windows icons found in the Win32 directory. This time around, I used the big red X in a circle. Last time I used the dynamite blaster icon. Making these two changes ensures I don't inadvertently click on the wrong program.

The betas will keep going. I just rename the application, so I know which install I am starting. The trainz plus beta stream install has beta in the title.

Back