Early Amtrak Stuff?

Where can I find:

E7's, E8's, E9's, etc. (Still in full former owner paint, patched, in Amtrak phase 1.)

Older Amtrak coaches and passenger equipment in phase 1.

Unpainted coaches and passenger equipment in former owner's paint.

Thanks in advance for helping, I understand if there are none of these things.

Look on the DLS for Penn Central, New Haven, New York Central, Boston & Albany, Baltimore and Ohio, etc.

I've never seen patched Amtrak E's but there used to be some Es and Fs up there with Amtrak scheme.

John

Someone had a set of 3 lightweight coaches done up in Amtrak Phase 1 that weren't bad. Not sure who, I'd have to go digging to find them.

I had seen 1 set of E7s in Phase 1, but they weren't brilliant models, very outdated, etc etc.

As I recall, Amtrak didn't patch alot of its stuff. There was so much craziness going on after its creation, and they had timetables to keep to boot, they mostly just ran whatever they had wherever they could. You'd see CB&Q & BN Engines pulling B&O/UP/SP Coaches and what not. It was a crazy time, you never knew what kind of equipment was going to show up for a few years. They didn't stop long enough to patch, just kept running them till they had time to paint or replace them, and mostly they just started replacing with FP-40s as they could, after the SDP-40s bombed out anyway.....

At least from what I've seen anyhow,
-Falcus

Yup, Amtrak did not patch any of their equipment. They were either in a full Amtrak scheme or in the full scheme of their previous owner. The only partially painted Amtrak stock I've ever seen were the some former Penn Central and Conrail GG1's. But that may have only been done because of their simple all-over black paint scheme for those locos. Just paint over the PC or CR logo and slap on 'Amtrak' in big letters.

Though, I found this example of GG1 #929 in what I assume is either a PRR inspired or PRR patched scheme.
pictures%5C5233%5C2295.jpg

Penn Central E8 No. 4316 ended up with this rather unique paint scheme on May 1, 1971, Amtrak's first day of operation.

tumblr_n9mou4rUZC1rxwen9o2_r1_1280.jpg

I think landlvr reskinned his Burlington Route 'California Zephyr' set (E units and the full train's consist) into Amtrak phase I. I recall seeing screenshots of it somewhere last month.
One of the threads for landlvr's content has a full list of what he's made. Might be best to see if the CZ in phase I is on there.

Someone had a set of 3 lightweight coaches done up in Amtrak Phase 1 that weren't bad. Not sure who, I'd have to go digging to find them.

I had seen 1 set of E7s in Phase 1, but they weren't brilliant models, very outdated, etc etc.

As I recall, Amtrak didn't patch alot of its stuff. There was so much craziness going on after its creation, and they had timetables to keep to boot, they mostly just ran whatever they had wherever they could. You'd see CB&Q & BN Engines pulling B&O/UP/SP Coaches and what not. It was a crazy time, you never knew what kind of equipment was going to show up for a few years. They didn't stop long enough to patch, just kept running them till they had time to paint or replace them, and mostly they just started replacing with FP-40s as they could, after the SDP-40s bombed out anyway.....

At least from what I've seen anyhow,
-Falcus

This is what I remember too. In 1976 I took a trip from Boston to NY City on the former Penn Central United Aircraft Turbo. On the Boston to New Haven section, there were still Budd RDCs running in New Haven and Penn Central schemes. A bit later, we changed to electric and there I saw former Pennsylvania GG1s and Southern passenger cars in Sunnyside yard, alongside cars and engines from B&O, New Haven, Lehigh Valley, and even the EL.

John

Whats even funnier is the picture he posted is a patched PRR/PC Single stripe unit.
I did say the GG1's were patched. Though, I stand corrected on the rest. Guess my research skills are not up to par. That's quite embarrassing.
Bowing out now to lick my wounds.

Last edited:
At least the engines could have been washed up a bit before putting them on the road. They look like the engineers brought them out mudding!

They are very shabby, aren't they? Kind of sad to think that is all they had to start with.

Very much so. It makes me sad to think that these engines were the pride of their previous owners at one point and were kept clean and neat instead of looking like an old Chevy truck left in the backyard.

Passenger service in the U.S. started going downhill rather quickly in the 1960s. By the late-1960s the railroads had apparently just stopped spending any money maintaining their passenger equipment.

Passenger service in the U.S. started going downhill rather quickly in the 1960s. By the late-1960s the railroads had apparently just stopped spending any money maintaining their passenger equipment.

Really? Wow, way to go team effort. LOL

Back