Draw distance

fermas

I like trains
Hey guys, I just bought 19 and I have the draw distance all the way to max no cap but it only draws out to 4000m it will draw the terrain in the background {poorly} but railcars and buildings are capped at 4000m is there anyway to fix this thanks! !

This has been an issue with all the Versions of Trainz. I am bummed out to, of that the poor Ground Draw Distance.
I have reported this issue many times with no resolve. If more of the community would report this, maybe they would fix it.

I have a lot of surrounding Mountains in my Custom Map and they look Bad at 4000m away from them, the ground Textures just disappear.:(

Last edited:
Yea its absolutely ridiculous how people tell them things about there game and it just gets swept under the mountain of more bugs that 19 is its like a couple of {2} middle schoolers are running the game in there free time.

I don' t think this is a bug but more likely a conscious game design decision. I'm pretty sure the terrain and trees draw out to a maximum of 15km with the right settings. This seems to work fine for me in both TANE and TRS19. Limiting railcars and buildings to 4km doesn't seem that terrible a trade off to me. I'm pretty sure that railcars would be almost indistinguishable to the naked eye at that distance so limiting their draw distance to that doesn't seem unreasonable.

Larger buildings are certainly visible beyond this distance but unfortunately not all content is created equal, and unless all assets are well optimised and have LODs properly configured, rendering them all at longer distances could have a serious performance hit. Trainz already struggles in this regard.

Draw distance depends on the capability of the GPU plus you need trees and scenery on Ultra and you can't see much if any detail at 4000m.

This isn't even on my main rig but using an i7-6700K + GTX980TI on maximum settings and draw distance, the screen shot is the longest straight bit I can get and is just over 10000m. It's an old version of my WIP thus not complete yet however trees an buildings are visible and ground textures are ok, note you need to use seamless ground textures otherwise you get a checkerboard effect, even if you swirl them to remove it.

That is impressive Clam! How do you identify a seamless texture?

You can't see where the texture tiles and there is no repeating pattern, most of my own created textures are seamless, non seamless I use sparingly in small patches and varying the direction so there isn't an obvious tile, to give a bit of variety.

2021-11-21-152258.jpg

I can see the Trees and Buildings at 15000m away with no problem, it is the Ground textures that disappear.
Running the Ryzen 5950x, GTX 1080 Ti FTW3, 32 Gigs DDR4 3600mhz.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I think he meant, how do you identify a seemless asset in order to use it..

You look at the texture by applying it in surveyor over a few grid squares or have a look in preview asset and as I said, for seamless you can't see where the texture tiles and there is no repeating pattern. if you can see the seams then it's not seamless, repeating patterns are not good either.

Last edited:
Yes you are very correct those textures with seams are not good. I am using a my own Ground seamless Textures that Made the ground seamless, and they look good at a distance.

This issue is also happing with the Grid only, and no Textures added.
I have tried many different Ground Textures combined together with no luck. Seem to be an environmental Lighting issue.

Last edited:
Afraid your links require request to access. Need to change them to Anyone with Link so they can be viewed.

Regarding the lighting, try resetting the Diurnal cycle in Environment - lighting that usually improves things and you can tweak from there.

Back