Disobedient driver

rhban

On my new route, after a large station, two of the northern tracks split into two directions. I don't like unsignalled diamond crossings, so the only way I can do this is to make a crossover from one track to the next and then split them, so every junction is fully signalled. One of my drivers, however, ignores the track marks, takes the left fork, slows and sometime stops when it reaches the next track marker, which, since he is on the wrong track, has nothing to do with him, and he carries gaily on until he reaches the unfinished end of that line.

I have changed the track marks (on track and in the drivers' instructions), I have changed the points and checked carefully that they have levers. My test train followed instructions perfectly, but this one perversely goes the wrong way.

Any ideas?

Welcome to the frustrations of AI drivers!

The reason for the shortcuts is the AI "sees" the crossover as a shorter trip to the destination instead of remaining on the intended route. This is why the AI will want to travel through some slower tracks such as in a yard or old siding rather than remain on the mainline. In situations like this, I place track markers before and after a crossover to prevent the AI from taking shortcuts or attempting to zigzag between the lines. To keep the AI on course, I found placing track markers somewhere in the middle of the route, well past the junctions ensures that the AI will be too far to consider taking what it perceives as shortcut.

Unfortunately, testing doesn't always produce incorrect results. The AI's actions are controlled by many other factors such as other driver's actions, signal, scripts, industries and all the underlying program processes that are invisible to us but are important to the program operations. When you're testing, you only have a single driver operating, therefore you don't have the burden of the rest of the "system" operating at the same time. This is why the proof in the pudding appears when everything is put to test rather than running a single train. This doesn't mean performing a quick test isn't necessary because the quick test will find the obvious things that need attention.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately, testing doesn't always produce incorrect results. The AI's actions are controlled by many other factors such as other driver's actions, signal, scripts, industries and all the underlying program processes that are invisible to us but are important to the program operations. When you're testing, you only have a single driver operating, therefore you don't have the burden of the rest of the "system" operating at the same time. This is why the proof in the pudding appears when everything is put to test rather than running a single train. This doesn't mean performing a quick test isn't necessary because the quick test will find the obvious things that need attention.

Well researched and well said!

Any ideas?

A graphic of what you are presenting, such as what John provided, would go a long way in helping us visualize your request.

A graphic of what you are presenting, such as what John provided, would go a long way in helping us visualize your request.

I've given up trying to send graphics. It used to be reasonably simple, but now it's worse than trying to understand Surveyor 2. OK, I'm not letting the latter beat me, but graphics in this forum are in the too hard basket.
I have solved my problem by extensive relaying of the track so that there is a longer distance between junctions so that the driver doesn't try to jump ahead to where he/she thinks the train should go, but for a while it was quite a headache.
Before I discovered Drive To, I found that the slightest hold-up would send drivers on unbelievably long detours, often in reverse, but I don't think Drive To is available for trs22. In fact, back in the days of TANE, the actual drivers appeared to have their own funny quirks and you'd get one driver you'd have change after a while because he/she kept on choosing the wrong route.

I've given up trying to send graphics. It used to be reasonably simple, but now it's worse than trying to understand Surveyor 2. OK, I'm not letting the latter beat me, but graphics in this forum are in the too hard basket.
I have solved my problem by extensive relaying of the track so that there is a longer distance between junctions so that the driver doesn't try to jump ahead to where he/she thinks the train should go, but for a while it was quite a headache.
Before I discovered Drive To, I found that the slightest hold-up would send drivers on unbelievably long detours, often in reverse, but I don't think Drive To is available for trs22. In fact, back in the days of TANE, the actual drivers appeared to have their own funny quirks and you'd get one driver you'd have change after a while because he/she kept on choosing the wrong route.

Drive To is available for trs22.

Click on Edit Session... while in Surveyor editing your Session.
Click on Driver Command.
Scroll until you find Drive To.
Check the box.

While you're at it, add in Drive To Track Mark as well.

Adding pictures is annoying. I find adding them to the Trainz Gallery makes the process easy. Once added, I right-click and choose copy image and then paste that into the post.

I'm glad you solved your problem with the AI. Sometimes, they behave but other times they're like spoiled children! On a British documentary on various train operations, the commentator said, that a particular incident would be tea and biscuits time with the super. Let's say, I've had more than a few with my drivers over the years! :)

Last edited:
I did know how to add new commands, but for some reason I thought they had omitted this most useful command for some important reason. I should have known better. Yes, drivers have been the cause of great worry and mirth over the years.

Drive though trackmarks work pretty well as well. I had an AI driver that kept stopping about halfway through its route and started backing up. (I think because I had too many loop arounds and horseshoe curves) that the driver was confused as to the shortest route to its destination. I added enough drive through trackmarks to get it over the hump so to speak and the AI driver could then finish it run properly.

Jack

:D When I have a disobedient driver, I suspend them for 3 days, then have a supervisor do a check ride with them. if the issue remains, termination. :hehe:

Sorry, somebody just had to add this. No not sorry. :)

:D When I have a disobedient driver, I suspend them for 3 days, then have a supervisor do a check ride with them. if the issue remains, termination. :hehe:

Sorry, somebody just had to add this. No not sorry. :)

You've noticed that when you, the supervisor rides with the misbehaving driver that he or she doesn't mess around.

You've noticed that when you, the supervisor rides with the misbehaving driver that he or she doesn't mess around.

Oh no! Don't tell us that's still another variable to pile on, in addition to those in your post #2, that accounts for variations in driver behavior!

Oh no! Don't tell us that's still another variable to pile on, in addition to those in your post #2, that accounts for variations in driver behavior!

Maybe, or is it a case of the AI knowing they'll be fired if they mess around. :)

I have found my own self-inflicted errors while doing this. I've had AI back up and do the usual stuff and it turn out I had the wrong track mark in the driver command bar. Oops, that explains it!

Maybe, or is it a case of the AI knowing they'll be fired if they mess around. :)

I have found my own self-inflicted errors while doing this. I've had AI back up and do the usual stuff and it turn out I had the wrong track mark in the driver command bar. Oops, that explains it!

Been there, done that, especially when there are a number of Track Marks with similar names. And then there's accidentally telling the driver to go to the wrong platform, which can cause him or her to drive in reverse for 100s of kilometres and then give up when there's a Direction Indicator or some other obstruction preventing the train from changing tracks. Such fun!

Back