Deleting Missing Assets causes the map to almost doubles in Size

jjeff1955

when I save my Map it is normally 753mb.
But when I clear missing assets it causes the Map to be grow to 1.2gb big and I can not save it as it states that it is to large to save to cdp.

What is causing the size change when deleting missing assets?

Not enough info to even hazard a guess. The only thing I know of that causes large file size increases, is saving a pre-TANE SP2 route in a version of TANE sp2 or later or TRS19.
You can open the route for edit in explorer and then backup the route folder in 7zip or rar when it is too big for a cdp.
Graeme

Last edited:
This just started happening recently I did not add anything to the Map to make it larger, Normal save, it is ok, only when clicking on the Delete missing assets make it increase in size.
Thank you for your reply.

From the sounds of it, it sounds like its saving it from TANE's format to TRS19 format, which does grow in size, since it has more items it needs to add to the route.

Since CDP files are a legacy format, you'll be better off going to where Trainz is storing your content (can be view in settings > install tab) > local and then use the search bar and enter the kuid like this:
kuid 123456 7890
kuid2 123456 7890 1

and not like this:
<kuid:123456:7890>
<kuid2:123456:7890:1>

Then just save the .tzarc file somewhere else, and when you want to restore, just it in any of the folders in the hash-XXX and run quick update.

Cheers

I am not using TANE at all, I have been on the the Trainz 2019 from the begining with my Map from 2004.
Something has gone wrong and I may need to do a clean re-install the 2019
It's Very important that I retain the Delete missing Assets for continued work on my Map.
What is the very long String Table used for in the Maps Config File?
It is listing a hug amount of Content that is no longer installed into my Map.
Thanks.
jjeff1955

Well I for one am not sure what CM is doing I can put 8 files totaling 11 mb written on disk according to windows 10 and put in in CM and let it install and it is 22 mb all of a sudden...

So IF I was a betting man I would bet you map is HALF what CM says it is LOL

The serious issue is that I can no longer save it to .cdp as it refuses and states that it is to Large.
When I open the Map Config it has doubled all of the other files and has gotten way over the limit.

What is that String Table used for?
It has a lot of Content listed the is no linger installed in my Map.
Thanks.
jjeff1955

The string table is supposed to be a list of the assets contained in the route, looks like it's not updating the config on saving for some strange reason. Perhaps a database repair may help?

Yes I tried that and I was able to delete the String Table list with no adverse effects. Seems to really do nothing as the Map was still functional.
I also solved the issue with the Map growing beyond normal size.MY BAD! It was my fault due to have the Ground textures to Large had to reduce them to from 2048 to 1024 and change the .bmps to TGA and i think that this has solve the Map size issue.

Still testing if that solve the problem I will post here as and FYI so others do not have this issue with the Ground Texture.

clam1952 Please let Rob know that I do not want any of my recent Assets to be re-listed on the DLS, and to go ahead a have them permanently Deleted.

I am starting over with the assets with the Permissions included and I am also making my own Sound Assets and not using the KB's stuff as I did not get a response from him. Thant will keep me out of trouble with using their assets.
Thanks for your help.
jjeff1955

Ok I got Lucky and was able to repair the Map. I created a Clone of my Ground Texture and it worked, Please have them delete all the assets that I had done for the DLS, now that I got my Map errors repaired.
Kind Regards.
jjeff1955

Last edited:
Jon,

If you transferred a route from TRS2004, you are definitely going to see a much larger route in TRS2019 if not at least twice the size due to the program creating a copy of each and every file and naming it map.something as shown below.

route_name = your route name.

route_name.bmk
route_name.gnd
route_name.obs
route_name.trk
route_name.tzm

becomes

map.bmk
map.gnd
map.obs
map.trk
map.tzm

To get around this, once you import your route into TRS2019, open the route up for editing in Explorer in Content Manager and manually rename the files ahead of time.

This is what I find in my Root Folder of my Map
16,947 Files in the root of my Map Folder.
mapfile.bmk
mapfile.gnd
mapfile_0_0.gnd
mapfile_0_0.obs
mapfile.not
mapfile.trc
and thousands more.

Unbelievable of how many of them there are a total of 753mbs and the issue of saving my Map is now solved and is working perfectly.
Thank You John for your reply.

This is what I find in my Root Folder of my Map
16,947 Files in the root of my Map Folder.
mapfile.bmk
mapfile.gnd
mapfile_0_0.gnd
mapfile_0_0.obs
mapfile.not
mapfile.trc
and thousands more.

Unbelievable of how many of them there are a total of 753mbs and the issue of saving my Map is now solved and is working perfectly.
Thank You John for your reply.

You'll see lots and lots of these because of the file structure changes in T:ANE and up. Prior to this change, just like all the other prior versions, the routes were all single files as you saw. This is well and good for small routes that can remain in memory, but as routes got bigger major issues occurred with not only loading the routes but also with overall program performance. The underlying AI engine suffered as well with the huge route as all as other assets that needed to load the huge tables that track functions as locations of other assets. These data changes, however, have not been implemented without issues and affected the ATLS system as well as TRC, among other scripted assets that require searching the route for components. With the smaller file segments, which actually reference the larger route files, the routes will load faster and there is much better performance overall. You will notice, however, that on first load that older routes may take a long time. The reason is the data format is being converted to the new format. For the most part, there's nothing for us to be concerned about other than disk space if that's an issue.

Now, above all, don't pull a dumb move (How would I know this...), and delete these "extra" files. That will definitely corrupt everything you've got and send the route into the bit bucket.

A Ground Seasonal Texture File was bad it had an error that showed good, I removed it and that solved the Map Size issue.
I do not know how that File would cause that kind of issue, but it did.
jjeff1955

Back