CSX Q334 and Amtrak Crash in Grand Rapids!

Wow, its hard to see an engine going only 15-20mph going on top of a well car and half of the 2 the containers. Unless it got pushed by the kinetic force generated when the passenger cars stopped but even then, I still can't picture it.
At least the number of injuries were small.

EDIT: Forgot to add, I wonder how this will affect Amtrak. From various shows and magazine articles, I've gathered they have recent problems between lower riders and problems scheduling trains on some lines in light of the increased freight traffic, now this.

Last edited:
From another post in another forum. the Preliminary report is that the Amtrak train recieved a Restricted signal just before the accident.

This report was uncited so it may be incorrect. More:

Latest Information I have available

Regular Engineer is Critically Injured - removed from the site by stretcher.
Student Engineer was able to walk from accident site
Conductors and Lounge Attendant were listed by Cook Co. hospital as in serious condition.

There were 5 passengers that were also sent to that hospital one of which was a child. All are expected to make a full recovery.

*PRELIMINARY* information was that the train was given a "restricted" signal before the accident located about Englewood (METRA Crossing)

Whiteness reports the accident as "abrupt" but nothing more than a fender bender car accident.

Consist
Engine #8
Snack 35008
Coach 34XXX
Coach 34054
Pics:
xinsrc_24212040109374841508850.jpg

xinsrc_2521204010937093984851.jpg

peter

Edit: I got a treat for you. There was a NS security camera by the accident. I have obtained a copy of the video; and so with no furhter adue: http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i6/PerRock/?action=view&current=amtrak.flv

Last edited:
This morning I was Q334 getting off of the CSX Saginaw Sub -Chris

What the "H"-"E"- double hockey sticks does that mean? Whats "Q334"? Is that leak speak? Why does the title say "in Grand Rapids"? The accident was clearly in South Chicago.

The OP makes no sense here.....

Ed:confused:

Last edited:
I don't think Chris works for CSX......perhaps he will post back and explain himself.
Ed

Sorry guys. I was typing this as I was listening to the radio about it. The news said it was outside of Grand Rapids. My friend checked the CSX boards and the CSX train Q334 (That ran through here earlier) had intermodal in the back and was in that area when the accident occured. -Chris

Actually that is quite understandable as the train originated out of Grand Rapids.

peter

lol Chris, for the last time the article clearly states it was a NS freight:eek:
if you look at the video you can see 3 trains in the area, including another stack train.....

Back