Copy tool problems

Mike_Brown

I have spent a few hours merging sections of an existing home-made route a with a newly made route, and them adding a few new baseboards to further extend the route. Part of the extension involved copying a "city" from one part of the newly created route to some of the newly added boards. All looked well until attempting to alter road layout and trackwork needed to accommodate a different station etc.

Typically, roads had become disconnected from relevant junctions (eg kuid 2:52519:50303:5 and 2:52519:37051:5). In the copying process, many, but not all the T-Junctions (not just the example, but others of the same series) seem to have lost some or all their attachment points altogether, thus releasing the attached road spline(s). Others seem to have released the splines, and which refuse to re-attach. In the first instance the junction can be deleted and replace and the roads attached as normal. In the second instance. the junction can be deleted but it seems to leave the attachment points behind.

I deleted two portals from the route (kuid 25:1264). They disappeared from the route, but associated labelling remains (Portal Entry/Portal End), with no apparent means to remove it. They can still be found with the "Find Object" tool - I do not yet know if they will still emit trains.

Finally (for now), there is a residual oddity that seems to have arrived from the old route. Before merging, I deleted several baseboards from the old route that I did not want in the final route. (A whole new bit of a pain in itself, since deleting a board does not necessarily delete all assets on it!!!) After merging with the new route, I eventually noticed a consist floating in the ether, a long way from any base board and which I was unable to delete. I eventually traced it back to another oddity - a consist
(a lonely 836009:50069, I think)
from the old route. On the old route, this consist is marked in red (possibly a derailment not properly cleared?), but is only visible in Map view, and disappears as you "descend" towards the ground. It appears as a consist in the driver list when in Driver, although inoperative, and can be found with the "Find Object" tool.

This has caused quite a lot of time wastage, one way and another, and any advice/comment may be welcome. Am I doing anything wrong, stupid, unusual or even unforeseen? Are they known issues with or without known workarounds?

Trainz build is 106618. There are pictures available in my folders, but I have no idea how to get them in here

:confused:

Keep safe!

Mike,

These copy/paste anomalies and deleting baseboards have been with us since at least T:ANE. I've gotten in the habit of blanking out baseboards before deleting them due to the floating bits left behind. I recently came across roads floating in space with openings where the intersections were once located. Since I couldn't reach these things floating out there in the ether, as you aptly call it, I put a baseboard under the assets by building a land bridge out there and was able to delete the floaters.

The intersections losing their connections is a pain if you have a lot of them! I found that wiggling the intersections afterwards will sometimes bring back the spline points and I was able to connect the roads back to them. Why this happens, I don't know.

Yes, I have come to the conclusion that clearing boards before you delete them is necessary, especially since you probably will have to any way. I have used the the landbridge technique, but I still can't find a way of getting rid of the rogue consist - either from the "new" route or the route it came from
Incidentally, at risk of reiterating the known/obvious, it seems that the "floaters" left behind after deleting a baseboard are everything where the height has been adjusted after original placement: usually splines but, some scenery items too.
I had a quick check, and it seems the problem was around in TS12. I'm surprised I haven't noticed anything about it before.

Thank you. Yes, I have, but hasn't done anyhting (that I noticed) to what I currently have..

Yes, I have come to the conclusion that clearing boards before you delete them is necessary, especially since you probably will have to any way. I have used the the landbridge technique, but I still can't find a way of getting rid of the rogue consist - either from the "new" route or the route it came from
Incidentally, at risk of reiterating the known/obvious, it seems that the "floaters" left behind after deleting a baseboard are everything where the height has been adjusted after original placement: usually splines but, some scenery items too.
I had a quick check, and it seems the problem was around in TS12. I'm surprised I haven't noticed anything about it before.

That's an interesting observation. I noticed the problem and mentioned it in the forums way back then and was told it was a "normal" thing to occur! This isn't a normal thing because if I recall, I said it didn't happen in TS2010 or before.

I also like to copy entire towns etc from one place to another and have experienced the same problems. It seldom/never happened in older versions and is not normal despite what someone told JCitron.

You can minimize the problem if you copy/paste the height as well. It's the height difference that causes the problem. I would try this and then if you must change elevation of the pasted area, do it gradually and see if that helps.

One other quirk is that if you copy/paste a station, you will likely lose the passenger height yo entered and the default value is reset.

I hadn't noticed that bit about passenger height - too much detail for my limited perception.

I had tried pasting with and without height, but in my experience they both manifest the same sort of problem in that connections can still be lost. In some cases tracks may be rendered non-editable. I put something on the blog about it a few days ago, but it hasn't elicited any interest so far (assuming that anyone reads the blog, that is!).

I have (I think) made all the changes necessary to accommodate the anomalies encountered so far, but am still left with a rogue, undeletable consist (albeit several miles away from the actual route), and two deleted portals, which are only visible by their red labelling and which the system still recognises as being present.

Back