Controling Trains

BillDickson

After playing in DCC mode I am now playing cab mode, which is more fun and a better experiance

However can someone tell me how to control the Deisel Locos at slow speed, ie. going slow to couple, stop at stations and stopping to load or going at a steady speed under the coal hoppers. I use the keyboard short cuts because when looking at the cab controls you can't see out of the windows.

I have read the manuals and have difficulty in practice using the correct combinations of throttle and brakes. The trains especially long ones and passenger dont seem to want to stop even when I press the "A" key furiously

I would appreciate any help and instruction you can give

Thanks

Bill

The A key toggles the handbrake on and off. It's only really intended for use to stop de-coupled rolling stock moving on a gradient, or for holding a stationary train on a severe slope.

Try using the other types of brakes to slow down a train.

John

Thanks john as usual you are full of wisdom and always prompt at replying.

The only other brake I know to use is the "Z" key for lapping, is there others

Bill,

All the following is for TRS2004. Most of it also applies in TRS2006.

Tutorial Driver Sessions

Layout: City and Country USA 2
Session: 2 Cab Tutorial
Comment: A good introduction to diesel and electric locomotive CAB mode. Includes explanatory guidance slides.

Layout: Outback Australia 2
Session: 3 Steam Tutorial
Comment: A good introduction to steam locomotive CAB mode. Includes explanatory guidance slides.

Engineer's Handbook

Provided in electronic form as an Adobe Acrobat PDF document. Extremely useful reading.

CAB Mode Diesel And Electric Loco HUD Displays

Flow (psi) - Change in brake pipe pressure. Probably the same for the entire train.

Brake pipe (psi) - High pressure means the brakes are off; low pressure means the brakes are on; probably the same for the entire train.

Brake cyl (psi) - High pressure means the brakes are on; low pressure means the brakes are off; this is the actual brake cylinder pressure, not that of the auxiliary cylinder; probably specific to each rolling stock vehicle.

Main res (psi) - The same for the entire train.

Equaliser (psi) - The expected final pressure after the system settles.

Throttle - Diesel 1-8; electric 1-?; red indicates that the dynamic brake is in use.

Reverser - Forward, reverse or neutral

Brake display:
Initial - might only apply with a Redhen
Application - brakes are on
Lap - pressure held steady
Release - brakes are off
Emergency - brakes are on
Handle off - I don't know what this means
The pressure fields react to the independent brake being applied and released, but the "Brake" field does not indicate its state.

CAB Mode Diesel And Electric Loco Brake Keyboard Controls

Release - Q
Lap - Z - Holds the brake pipe pressure at its current value, for partial application
Apply - A (in DCC mode the A key toggles the handbrake on/off; CAB mode is different; sorry if my earlier posting confused anyone)
Apply emergency brake - Pause/Break

Toggle independent brake on/off - E - braking affects loco only
Release independent brake only - D
The independent brake is mainly used to stretch a train.

Throttle or dynamic brake controls:
Increase throttle or dynamic brake - W - cannot use the > key in CAB mode
Decrease throttle or dynamic brake - X - cannot use the < key in CAB mode
Set to throttle or dynamic brake zero - S - in the real world the throttle should only be set from a high value to zero in an emergency
Toggle the dynamic brake on/off - C - can only be toggled when the throttle is at 0 - with the dynamic brake active, the throttle display is red; use the throttle to control the braking effect.

If you're not familiar with railway braking systems, this Wikipedia article might help but it is all rather confusing at first. My apologies if you're a railway expert and the only problem is making things work in Trainz.

John

Last edited:
if your going fast and your heading toward a station look at the map from where you are to the station. then what i do is pick a spot to start slowing down at. then what i do is when i start i always have a paper that tells me what are the speeds of the loco and certain notches the highest and the lowests.

then i plan my route accordingly. i also check gradiants. if im going up hill i a certain point increse my speed by a certain notch. if im going down hill i lower my notched to a lower position so im not going so fast when i come back on flat ground.

in a steam loco its a lot harder but you get the hang of it quickly. you have to keep suficient pressure in the boiler which can be difficult at times. one way is to use water.

if you have too much pressure rather than blow the saftey valve inject water into it. this way the hot fire turn the water into steam which can help you move it also reduces pressure in the boiler.

another way is the cutoff. a higher cutoff requires much more fuel consuption and water this is 75%-40% this is also callled long cutoff. this gives a high traction effort. low or short cutoff 40%-0% is more efficient with fuel but gives a low traction effort. if you come to a acent make sure you have a hot fire and have a nice cool but not cold fire on flat lands.
this is the mostly best way to run a steam a diesel loco.

look in the TRS manual for more information on running a loco in cab mode.
if you need more help just email me.

Last edited:
Thanks guys

you have given me much to practice

I must say that the promt replys and everybody participating to help one another is absolutly amazing.

Thanks again

Bill

Back