Container virtuoso

philskene

I have uploaded a session for PortSwitchingCo called "ContainerVirtuoso". It should appear on the Download Station early next week.

In part this session is in response to a thread in another forum about building an extensive container port.

In part it is to demonstrate and publicize the amazing abilities of our dedicated and enthusiastic workforce at Lys Harbor (and, of course, my abilities to configure interactive freight cars and industries).

I know that waiting at a ProtoLARS track for one minute before anything happens and then the 10 or so seconds delay between freight cars loading can be a bit frustrating. But those who have watched containers being loaded onto well cars at a real terminal know the time it can take to load a train, and in this session our ground crew take a total of only about 3 minutes to load ten double stack well cars with containers of differing sizes and types. This is quick work indeed.

The session does need the TTX 5 car articulated well car set from TrainzProRoutes. The link is:

http://trainzproroutes.com/downloads/index.php?act=category&id=5

Look for TTX Well 1 on the second page.

You may need to register at TPR, it is free, and you may also need to download the couplings and bogey for these cars from the Download Station, kuids 58377:50020, 58377:50021, 45681:50000

Please do not be deterred by this. These well cars by Shane Stuart are outstanding - highly detailed and very flexible in the way the cars can be configured to carry various containers.

In the session, you will need to assemble the train and load the well cars at the ProtoLARS section of track closest to the waterside beyond the container ship:

Container_01.jpg

The train will load, and should look like this (though note that LARS can be a little unpredictable at times, and what works for me may not work for others):

Container_02.jpg

(CONTINUES)

(CONTINUED)

The ProtoLARS track will pick container skins at random, so although the container types should be like this, the skins will certainly be different:

A 40' container over two 20' tankcontainers; and a 48' container over two tankcontainers:
Container_031_2T_40__2T_48.jpg

40' over 48'; 48'/48'; 48'/2 x 20':
Container_032_48_40__2-48_2-20_48.jpg

40'/tankcontainer and 20'; 40'/40'; 48'/48':
Container_033_T-20_20__2-40__2-48.jpg

40'/48'; two Auran overheight 20':
Container_034_48_40_2-Auran.jpg

Unload the train at the ProtoLARS track in the Container depot, and then reload the train at the LARS track:

Container_03.jpg

Cars will load at the LARS track when stationary between the yellow markers. However, only the bottom containers may load. To load the upper containers the cars may need to be spotted between the markers a second time.

Place the loaded cars in the Transfer Yard on the upper level and sign off at Loco.

As always, give way to all trainz on the upper level.

The session takes about 45 minutes to compete. Look for this thumbnail on the Download Station:

ContainerVirtuoso.jpg

Phil

Very nice Phil!!

I might have to make you a container that will load and unload with your name on it since you really put them to work!! :wave: :hehe:

Ishie

Selecting a particular shipping container.

8) Thanks Phil,

I enjoy automated processes!

I wonder if you could tell me how to configure a particular container, say UPS or JBHunt, to load on demand, the entire train?

I made a JBHunt product tag, and got it to show up, hijacking SPorBust's JBHunt container, however, did not work because the bogeys would not texture correctly.

It would have to work perfectly before I would even think about inquiring about uploading info.

"I wonder if you could tell me how to configure a particular container, say UPS or JBHunt, to load on demand, the entire train?"

I'm certainly no expert on this, but looking at config.txt file for the 20ft and 40ft container products (kuids 49267:35004 and 49267:35005), the selection of the container skin is by a random selection from those skins available in the folder.

I think that the config.txt file could be edited so that only one particular skin is selected. However, I'm not at all sure how the file should be edited.

Phil

Hi Phil and Allen,

Not much can be done with that though.

Options:

1. If you remove this tag or change it into 0

Code:
allows-mixing                        1
only one mesh version will appear loaded, not a mixture of them. But not the one you want, for sure.

2. If you remove all the meshes but one from the mesh-table, leaving the one you wish, only that will appear on the flatcars.

Leave only one:
Code:
mesh-table {
    one {
        mesh                    "meshone\one.im"
        auto-create                1
    }
}
Hope it helps.

Alberte :wave:

Very nice Phil. I must get this session! I was wondering if it was possible to "Randomise" the locos and freight cars you use on the AI trains (Such as 2 Santa Fe SD40-2s and a BNSF GP38-2 with mixed freight cars), just for some variety. Except for that; these sessions are very well done! :D -Chris

Back