Catenary for Northeast Corridor Portion of my Route!

TChauvet

Good Afternoon,

I am building the MBTA Commuter Rail Route from Franklin, MA to Boston, MA and I reached the area of the Northeast Corridor.

I am having trouble trying the right Catenary that is similar to the photos below;

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank You and Have a Great Day!

Terence Chauvet

The NEC was New Haven and Pennsy . This type of catenary is on the DLS . If your doing just what you showed ? That to me looks like a German & England type cat . So you can really use any number of Europe type catenary in my opinion . PRR used a three wire catenary . But highspeed lines seen to use two wire cat . \

Your not the only one looking to do this . Best of luck .

Matt

The NEC was New Haven and Pennsy . This type of catenary is on the DLS . If your doing just what you showed ? That to me looks like a German & England type cat . So you can really use any number of Europe type catenary in my opinion . PRR used a three wire catenary . But highspeed lines seen to use two wire cat . \

Your not the only one looking to do this . Best of luck .

Matt

That's true of the southern end, meaning New Haven to Washington DC. The tracks from New Haven north to Boston were only recently, well in 1996 which is more recent than the original plan during the 1910s when JP Morgan bankrupted the New Haven and Boston and Maine when he took their cash to cover his own near bankruptcy in 1916. Imagine what that would look like instead of what we have now. We would have had the famous black catenary all the way up to Boston South Station.

Anyway, I was thinking that the new catenary is similar to to that used by the NSWGR.

ElStoko made a nice set of gantries and wires. There are both splines and poles and they work well. I use them on my Gloucester Terminal Electric route.

I concur with Railwoodman - that definetely looks like UK/EU/QR 25kv AC catenary (NSWGR catenary looks different to that). A version has been included as standard in Trainz since the earliest version, albeit with lattice posts, however a version with solid steel H beam posts is also on the DLS as 'UK overhead' (I think that was the name of it).

Just be aware though is that it's designed for the much smaller British loading gauge, meaning the overhead is much lower than US practice, so it may require raising, and that particular overhead on the DLS is designed with a visible centering 'pipe' in the middle to help set the splines correctly.... usually this is buried in the sleepers and isn't visible, but raising the overhead means the 'pipe' is now sticking up through the sleepers.

A DLS search for 'UK catenary' should find it fairly easily.

I concur with Railwoodman - that definetely looks like UK/EU/QR 25kv AC catenary (NSWGR catenary looks different to that). A version has been included as standard in Trainz since the earliest version, albeit with lattice posts, however a version with solid steel H beam posts is also on the DLS as 'UK overhead' (I think that was the name of it).

Just be aware though is that it's designed for the much smaller British loading gauge, meaning the overhead is much lower than US practice, so it may require raising, and that particular overhead on the DLS is designed with a visible centering 'pipe' in the middle to help set the splines correctly.... usually this is buried in the sleepers and isn't visible, but raising the overhead means the 'pipe' is now sticking up through the sleepers.

A DLS search for 'UK catenary' should find it fairly easily.

I tried the UK catenary and it's way too low even when raised up.

Back